stihl 051, 076

robbo 110

hi all, im currently repairing/restoring my late grandfathers chainsaws & wondering if anyone can help with a couple of bits? 051av, o75av & 076av, ive got them all running, the 51 doesnt have a chain brake, is this how they were or has it been removed? there are no holes in the clutch cover for a brake linkage, the 75 ive used with 36" bar but at full revs it 'misfires' although misfire is perhaps wrong word, the revs arent consistant, there up and down on full throttle, the 076 runs great but is a little difficult to start when hot, all 3 of these saws seem to not rev as hard as i thought they should, is this how they are? any advice would be greatly appreciated, i understand that these saws are getting on a bit now, but they will only be used occassionly for keeping the woodshed topped up!!! many thanks rob

all those old saws are slow as hell but absolute torque monsters: I have an 070 which will happily pull a 36" bar and up to a 48" bar. If you look on you tube you can see an 076 fitted with a 60"bar that pulls well enough so dont worry about slow revving: speed is not the aim of the game with these saws

That 075 could be just a tad rich .If it cleans up the rpm's when under load that likely could be the problem .

The 075-076 if in good tune will pretty much keep up with anything made today if they are used as intended on large wood with long bars .