Burr Finishing (filling)

Big Beech

Hi Chaps,

i am looking at importing a new gunstock blank, and at this stage i am thinking a bit of wood with some burr in may look a tad tasty. but how would you go about filling these small pits allowing for a oil finished stock?

ive worked some oak before and have just sanded back to a finish and it appears great, but wondering if out shooting in the winter would this be a cause for concern? or would ample coats of oil finish protect these areas?

597668d8c7bd9_cwd342f.jpg.3b207f8f1a098fa6668b0789dcde3da0.jpg

597668d8c559d_cwd342c.jpg.3f7c8bb1bc1bff0cac3cee2d62b0a61f.jpg

Stunning bit of Burr there...

When I have worked with burrs before and have wanted a dead smooth finish I have used hard wax fillers to fill any small holes. You can get packs of many different wood shades and they can be mixed to get the right shade to match.

It is time consuming but you can pretty much blend all the defects and little holes in so you would never know they were there. You just need a soldering iron and a scraper. Great stuff and will take most finishes on top to.

Assortment Hard Wx 20pcs | Surface protectors and coatings | Würth UK Limited

I have just finished a walking stick handle for myself from oak burr and know exactly what you mean about wanting a smooth finish , but like the figuring , so I crushed up a bit of charcoal from the fire to a fine dust and mixed it with Titebond glue and rubbed it into al the small cracks , then once totally dry sanded it back and all the small cracks now still look like cracks but are smooth and flush to the surface and natural looking . I will oil it a few times to finish it once it is joined to the stick shaft .

You will need a straight grain through the hand of the stock , otherwise it may split.

I have used Purdey Slackum oil on a pre finished Beretta walnut stock, that comes as a kit with sone fine filler. A friend finished a laminated walnut rifle stock for me with Birchwood Casey Tru oil, both look good.

On my oak mantle piece with some burrs I used black wax then wire wooled it, after about 4 sessions it is lovely but I think that would probably not be weather proof.

A

Have since spoken with my stocker and whilst a bit if burr us ok, best not for it to be all burr.

This piece has since sold.

So just awaitin to see what comes up next.

In terms of oil finishez tru oil seems well regarded. Are there any oils which dont stain light colours yellowy like linseed or tung oil does.?