Long ascents

Howdy all. Just thought I would throw this out there.

I would like to know what set-ups people are using for long SRT ascents. Most ascents I make are 35m plus up to 60 - 70m regularly. I use a typical chest croll/hand ascender/pantin setup for access, dragging my climbing line with me and change to double rope to work the tree.

I have no plans to change to SRT for working the tree, my hands and arms are too buckled to haul 1:1 around the tree even with a pantin. Yes I know you can go 3:1 for limb walks and what not :001_tongue:

Lately I have really been starting to question the wisdom of this ascent method, and it freaks me out what would happen if I dropped my descender (Rig) during a changeover whilst been hammered by bees or similar while ascending.

I guess my question is this: Is the unicender and/or ropewrench smooth and efficient for long ascents?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Browncow,

I did a fair bit of climbing big regnans in victoria.. I would personally go with pantin and haas with a rope wrench above it.. If its super long and you want to smash it in one hit slap a chest sling with a revolver on to keep you upright. less work on the arms. Nothing to drop and you can bail out super quick if things go south

I'm about to switch to Richs system for long ascents. Long in my world!

35m? Man, I'd be ready to go home after that much effort!

The advantages of using both legs are obvious, which is the beauty of the frog walker type setup.

A few have expressed concerns about your access system not including an instant descent mechanism, and the possibility of cutting ropes with toothed ascenders in the event of a shock load (initial anchor failure, resulting in a drop into a lower crotch, say).

What are your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Arbtalk

Hi Browncow,

I did a fair bit of climbing big regnans in victoria.. I would personally go with pantin and haas with a rope wrench above it.. If its super long and you want to smash it in one hit slap a chest sling with a revolver on to keep you upright. less work on the arms. Nothing to drop and you can bail out super quick if things go south

Ben, can you elaborate on the HAAS please? Sounds ideal.

Ben, can you elaborate on the HAAS please? Sounds ideal.

'Haul ass ascent system' worth it if just for the name, probably. Really simple to use one you've set it up...

Personally I've not a problem with toothed ascenders, provided you're only using them on ropes designed for use with ascenders. Basically any caving/climbing static rope, and arb specific access lines, these are designed with shock loading in mind. I hope...

I think having an instant bail out option is a very good idea though. I've heard it's extremely stressful changing over to your 8 in the midst of a swarm of bees. Getting myself a rope wrench to give that Haas setup a whirl.

Edited by Mr. Squirrel

'Haul ass ascent system' worth it if just for the name, probably. Really simple to use one you've set it up...

Personally I've not a problem with toothed ascenders, provided you're only using them on static ropes designed for use with ascenders. Basically any caving/climbing rope, and arb specific access lines, these are designed with shock loading in mind.

I think having an instant bail out option is a very good idea though. I've heard it's extremely stressful changing over to your 8 in the midst of a swarm of bees. Getting myself a rope wrench to give that Haas setup a whirl.

You know it!! Thats a recipe for disaster.. I got attacked by a few bees in indonesia last year. I would not have wanted to change over to an 8:thumbdown:

You know it!! Thats a recipe for disaster.. I got attacked by a few bees in indonesia last year. I would not have wanted to change over to an 8:thumbdown:

Heck no, did you have a bail out option in your system? I was singing while going up my access line last year and didn't notice a bees nest until my nose was pretty well in it, without a bail option I just had to climb as far as possible and got away with a single sting. Lucky they weren't hornets... our Indonesian bees I imagine. Should definitely learn something from those experiences though...