Stihl

NJay

Hello, I am after some opinions please. Has anyone had an experience with similar saw like this one? Also, there is water like fluid coming out of the carburettor/air filter. This chainsaw has a scored piston, however when you look through the exhaust it looks like the cylinders intake side is smooth.

image.jpg.d4082980d63790fc73519af00f8d1da4.jpg

Hi Dan, no it's not fuel it is watery. The feel of the liquid is like water and it doesn't ignite as I lit the lighter on it. It's an MS360 year 2003. I am puzzled with this water unless it was left outside in the rain and the water got in through from somewhere. If I take the filter off and tip the saw backward, few drops of watery liquid comes out. [ame]

[/ame] that's the link to a little video of the saw. Also when you move the piston down you can't see the ring thread on top. Thanks for your comment

The water may have been in the fuel, it may have formed in your fuel from condensation or perhaps someone left it out in the rain:001_rolleyes:

The cylinder may be salvageable - I have a 95% success rate - more info on my Whats on your bench thread. If the cylinder is OK, try to get a Meteor piston for it - they are pretty much OEM quality IMO and will give good service unlike some of the Far Eastern kit!

Just make sure you know the reason for failure or give the saw the relevent checks to ensure it won't happen again!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi spud, sorry to be a pain. The crank case was full of water and the fuel tank is full of little saw bits and the same with the carburettor. My question is(if you don't mind me asking for your help) what do you think of this cylinder? The piston is scored on the exhaust side so that will have to be replaced but I could do with not replacing the cylinder ?

image.jpg.6fcf08a4d6ff5939a35c761d186ac7de.jpg

Hi spud, sorry to be a pain. The crank case was full of water and the fuel tank is full of little saw bits and the same with the carburettor. My question is(if you don't mind me asking for your help) what do you think of this cylinder? The piston is scored on the exhaust side so that will have to be replaced but I could do with not replacing the cylinder ?

I have returned worse back to full working order :thumbup:

He waves his hands over the saw. On tough fittings, he may utter mystic incantations of old. And if he's still searching, may look at the workshop runes for guidance.

Other than these mysterious ways. He's got an encyclopaedic knowledge of what goes bang, was is missing when it's not going bang. Plus the means to make them go bang, pop & burst into life, in a way the greater make thought not possible.