Support British Manufacturing!

Karl Bak

Research has shown that consumers want to buy British but are confused about the origin of products sold in stores. In January 2011 cooker manufacturer Stoves commissioned independent market research among 1,000 British adults. The results showed that half (48%) of those surveyed admitted confusion about which brands could still claim to be made in Britain, with international takeovers and moves towards Far Eastern production all contributing to an increasingly puzzled landscape. Two-thirds (67%) wanted an official seal of approval to show products made in Britain, while half (52%) thought British brands should bring manufacturing back to the UK. More than a third (37%) of those questioned stated they would buy British if it was easier to identify authentic made in Britain products.

A separate poll by Which? in July 2011 asked “Would a Made in Britain logo help you buy British?” and 84% said ‘Yes it would’.

GreenMech machinery is 100% designed and manufactured in Britain!

I am not able to comment on GreenMech in relation to EasternEuropean or USAMech but I do believe that we are not competitive.

Why i'm not sure, I think there is an element of "profiteering" certainly for the smaller buyer. As an example I needed some handwheel/knobs recently. I tried to make some frames using M8 bolts and need a knob - in the UK said knob was £7 yet in the US, a similar unit is $4, even adding vat and shipping etc etc it still works out cheaper to buy them in the US.

Why ?

In Germany alluminium extrusion is around €5/M, here it's £7.95 + a £1.5 cutting fee + a £10 packing fee and minimum £22.50 UK shipping charge.

In the USA it's even less than Europe. The U$D is around 1.67:£1 at the moment so everything from the states is 12% cheaper than it was a few months ago.

I feel a rant coming on ...:angry:

Research has shown that consumers want to buy British but are confused about the origin of products sold in stores. In January 2011 cooker manufacturer Stoves commissioned independent market research among 1,000 British adults. The results showed that half (48%) of those surveyed admitted confusion about which brands could still claim to be made in Britain, with international takeovers and moves towards Far Eastern production all contributing to an increasingly puzzled landscape. Two-thirds (67%) wanted an official seal of approval to show products made in Britain, while half (52%) thought British brands should bring manufacturing back to the UK. More than a third (37%) of those questioned stated they would buy British if it was easier to identify authentic made in Britain products.

A separate poll by Which? in July 2011 asked “Would a Made in Britain logo help you buy British?” and 84% said ‘Yes it would’.

GreenMech machinery is 100% designed and manufactured in Britain!

but there engines are made in japan are they not ???

Support British Manufacturing

Easier said than done.

Recent acquisitions.

Chainsaws.

Processor.

Large log splitter.

Branch logger.

Which one of these would I have had a UK made option on?

Prior to developing our log business we built a house and options for UK made goods for that was pitiful. What made this more frustrating is most of our domestic goods were made in Germany, Austria and Sweden none of which I associate with low paid workers. What we did buy from the UK such as skylights and sanitry goods have had problems:thumbdown: Even our slates came from Brazil! there was a UK option here but it was 5 times the price.

Support British Manufacturing.

Would love to if we made anything. Glad to Hear GreenMech is UK made :thumbup:

Edited by Woodworks

but there engines are made in japan are they not ???

Are there any British industrial engine manufacturers? I think JCB make their own engines now (I'm not sure where though) and Perkins used to manufacture in the UK (even though they are now an American company). Do any of the foreign manufacturers build their engines in Britain (in the same way that Nissan and Honda build cars over here)?

It is a shame that it is so difficult to buy British manufactured products nowadays, and there is such confusion as to what actually is 'Made in Britain'.

I would rank Botex in the 'British made' category. I know some who seem to dislike these but I had one and it worked OK....

I worked in Oxford in the 80's and still remember the donkey-jacket boys on strike on a regular basis for more pay to produce a product which today is laughable.....Austin Alegro, Morris Marina and then the upgrade the Ital. Well I for one am glad that the Japanese took over and the Germans now have a lovely modern factory near Cowley and the rest has all gone and good riddance to it!

Yes we need to produce quality products in this country but can someone let me know when please and I'll consider buying.

I currently own a Honda car a German tractor a Japanese 360, an assortment of Japanese hand tools and a now, or soon to be, defunct work vehicle.....The Land Rover 110.

codlasher

Are there any British industrial engine manufacturers? I think JCB make their own engines now (I'm not sure where though) and Perkins used to manufacture in the UK (even though they are now an American company). Do any of the foreign manufacturers build their engines in Britain (in the same way that Nissan and Honda build cars over here)?

It is a shame that it is so difficult to buy British manufactured products nowadays, and there is such confusion as to what actually is 'Made in Britain'.

We used to make the best engines in the world, It's pitiful our lack of industry. ( I blame thatcher)

Sent using Arbtalk Mobile App

on my soap box. trouble is repeted goverments have failed to help uk companies sell on a even playing field. or have refused when asked for funding have said its againts EU rules yet other european countries give sweetners to uk companies to set up in there countries to make goods for theuk and europe.

ship building once the pride of the world asked for help to be able to compete goverment refused now major ship building gone. it makes me mad to see ships coming int southampton named after our queens to have been built in a european country.

but hen watch top gear and they showed what we do build from cars,bikes construction equipment taxis ice cream waggons 99% of racing cars.

i can not think of any chain saw being built in the uk.

a lot of the major stuff may have gone which is a shame. but there are specilist firms leading the world. undersea space aircrafts.

and there is a very good boot firm who make british boots granberg.

do we make chain saw trousers do not know.

still make trains, small boats. so not is all bad in the uk. just our goverments need to wake up and help firms when they need help rather than let them go abroad. EG transit no longer made in the uk. now turkish or belguim. yes we do build engines cummins. nissan make engines believe mini do. trying to think of a small engine. will do some checking. to blame thatcher. is somewhat wrong its been many goverments of all colours who refused to keep the flag flying. if they were only to think by keeping a major company going in the uk the costs of paying dole would be offset and paid back 10 times if they supported companies to keep people working paying tax,s and NI. but once in the house they loose sight of the real world

Edited by hedgesparrow