how long do you expect belts to last

treebloke

If you bought a brand new chipper how long would you expect the drive belts to last, 3 months, 6 months, 12 months and would you expect them to be covered by the guarantee.

Personally I think if I am parting with around 14k then nothing but the blades and filters are a wear part for at least the first 12 months. Your thoughts?.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't expect belts to be in the warranty as i'd regard them as a wear part. I know properly looked after they shouldn't but so many times i've seen simple checks and maintenance put off to save 5 mins. Especially on a new machine when i imagine they'd want checking after 20 hours or so.

When you come to replace the belts use Gates, the design is far superior ( how the belt is constructed) resulting in longer life. But any belt will fail quickly if A, the pulleys are missaligned and b, the belts are allowed to run slack or slip.

Suffice to say that I sold Gates industrial drive belts and fan belts for several years.

A

New belts "bed in".

They made need the tension adjusting manually - which is down to the users, and might need checking every few hours for the first 6-8 hours. They may be adjusted automatically, but the adjuster still needs room to travel, which may need monitoring.

Pulleys may wear in the long term and they need monitoring as once the V belt is running on the pulley bottom, they have no grip or drive.

V belts can run slightly out of line but that creates heat which in turn softens the belt and the wear can accelerate.

I would not have thought they would be covered by warranty and I would look for the reason for their failure. Incorrect alignment from new would hint to a supplier issue, incorrect tension may be a user issue. Belts are reasonable cheap, but I would try to ascertain cause then ask for guidance.