Ripping chain or chipping chain?

Andy Collins

i contract to the guy that sells the alaskan mill, personally never had a problem with the ripping chain,rob swears by it and it is also recomended by the guy that builds the alaskan lills in america and he has been developing them for about 20 years.what have you been told about it.as regards bar lenth,use whats needed for the job, no point milling a 12 inch log with a 36inch bar. use as big a saw as is possible.mostly rob uses an 88 but just varries the bar length for the job. you cant have to much power

oh right.i wonder if rob is supplying him? i suppose i was only a matter of time till other people started selling them,i seem to remember at least one other person had a couple for sale at this years aa show, but knew rob was giving them to him.you will have to come over and say hi at next years steve

Person I was talking to about the chains didnt give any reason for saying to avoid the Alaska chain, just advised against it. yes mr Dyer is supplying daniel/chippertech. yes I shall be getting one from him..... soon!! just sussing out what to buy, and advice before I buy, after all that's the best thing about these forums.

i have a 24" bar and oregon ripping chain (3/8 0.058 7pin sproket) that I run on my husky 372xp, with no real problems, and 36" on the stihl 084 (.404 0.63 8pin), likewise with no problems.

I would be keen to try a narrower kerf and bigger sprocket eg try and find someone to supply a 9pin .325 0.058 type set up for the stihl to minimise waste and speed the operation up a bit,

its important to remeber that on a ripping chain every other set of teeth are for clearing the kerf if i remember correctly.

i think 36" inch mill is ok for most of the time, and if you need to ever go bigger you can by a set of just the rails rather than a whole new mill