Woodland play area

felixthelogchopper

We've been clearing some neglected woodland recently with the aim of allowing the owner and his family to enjoy more of the estate. We will be creating a bit of a clearing where we are taking out some unsafe trees etc and are considering creating a bit of a play area for the owners' grandkids ( infant/junior school age). I wondered if anybody on the forum has done anything similar before and what you found that did or didn't work. There is already a normal playground with swings, trampoline etc near the main house so we were thinking of something more unusual. Unfortunately, where the wood was so densely packed, there are no suitable branches for hanging tyre swings etc. All sensible suggestions gratefully received. :001_cool:

We've been clearing some neglected woodland recently with the aim of allowing the owner and his family to enjoy more of the estate. We will be creating a bit of a clearing where we are taking out some unsafe trees etc and are considering creating a bit of a play area for the owners' grandkids ( infant/junior school age). I wondered if anybody on the forum has done anything similar before and what you found that did or didn't work. There is already a normal playground with swings, trampoline etc near the main house so we were thinking of something more unusual. Unfortunately, where the wood was so densely packed, there are no suitable branches for hanging tyre swings etc. All sensible suggestions gratefully received. :001_cool:

Did you see the pictures I put up from Anglesey Abbey recently?

They have a fantastic woodland wildlife/play area including a double storey platform/tree house, giant vertical dead wood xylophones, giant dead wood birds nests and willow hedgehog balls, to name but a few :thumbup1:

Did you see the pictures I put up from Anglesey Abbey recently?

They have a fantastic woodland wildlife/play area including a double storey platform/tree house, giant vertical dead wood xylophones, giant dead wood birds nests and willow hedgehog balls, to name but a few :thumbup1:

Have you got a thread title please, David? :001_smile:

I created a den building area for the local Fc park. Chestnut fencing around the edge with entrance arches made from the thinnings. The rest was cut into pieces that could be used to make wigwams around trees, or lean-to shelters. Then some chunky bits for imaginary chairs and tables. You could spend a bit more time carving out some high back chairs I guess....

Have you got a thread title please, David? :001_smile:

shots were in an old thread of mine with random images.

There were loads of cool little woodland ideas that were tucked away in what was a crap bit of secondary woodland. Great use of that part of the site and must have opened it up to schools & younger visitors.

here's some of the images

IMG_4711.jpg.9f2e31a03dc11729caf9c4ff0e451d77.jpg

IMG_4691.jpg.ac56fd2f27213eea9218d958170a90ff.jpg

IMG_4689.jpg.35be23f4ee7c8f7a453d0cd6d4fa8a29.jpg

IMG_4694.jpg.b0f54568615acf2240892a8e2070a23a.jpg

IMG_4695.jpg.fe92dfa9492250936d99f8086c8b4d3c.jpg

IMG_4692.jpg.c14eafa21a3943bb80711d6642bab539.jpg

IMG_4698.jpg.a8aad230ad15b932fc929484573b9d3f.jpg

IMG_4697.jpg.35ab8248fb1552ca65c96a6c236df88c.jpg