Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaws Discuss chainsaw makes and models, pros and cons. Get advice on maintenance and day to day usage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 27-07-12   #1 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012

Help id this saw please

Curiosity got the better of me last night and i bought this and two other saws off the devil that is ebay last night. It caught my eye as it looked like a 090 in the photos so stuck in a cheeky bid and won. Now not sure what i've got? Serial plate says 1106 which with limited google searching i believe could be a contra. Not really going to be sure til i strip it down but thought i'd see if any of you guys could tell me more from the photos
Thanks dave
Attached Images

Old 27-07-12   #2 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2011

Re: Help id this saw please

Good find, i cant help with the id but a contra and 090 have different pull cord casings i believe?
Old 27-07-12   #3 (permalink)

tis a contra. For serial # re exact contra series look at mike acres' chainsawcollectors.se

God Save the Queen.

www.redlineoil.com
Old 27-07-12   #4 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

Looks like a Stihl Lightening to me - 106cc - 58mm bore - bit more info here - Model Profile: LIGHTENING

"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?".
Old 27-07-12   #5 (permalink)

Thats confirmed what i was thinking. Looks like it could be a pig to restore, the top covers alone seem to be like hens teeth to find. All in all quite happy though. Got this a husky 142 (fresh fuel and new started cord and was running) and a random sachs for 51. Find of the year me thinks
Old 07-09-12   #6 (permalink)

I had one of these years ago, sure it was around 98-110cc and vibrated like it was :-) Nice sound though but heavy. A good old slogger in its day but sold it for 125 in freeads (pre evilbay) 30 years ago
Old 09-09-12   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2013

It's a Contra, which is basically an 070 without a decompression valve (not the Contra Lightning which was the 090 forerunner). You can tell from the flywheel cover.

The top covers can often be had new from Germany for a reasonable price - search ebay worldwide.

Alec
Old 11-02-14   #8 (permalink)

Well dug it out the shed a couple of days ago and took it into work to let the mechanic have a play with it and see if he could get it going. 3 and a half hours later it runs like a good un
Now i do have to order a few bits for it, needs a carb kit because one of the gauze bits was soaked in a sort of red paint? it need a new front handle and obiously a top cover. I have found all the bits i need on the german ebay but was wondering if anyone could tell me how the top cover attaches to the saw, there is a clip at the back of the saw but nothing at the front? Does it just slide into the fins on the outside of the cylinder or do i need to find and order another clip of some sort? Any pictures of the front of oneof these would be great.
Thanks for the help so far
Old 11-02-14   #9 (permalink)

clip front and back and there should be a shroud that fits over the cylinder that the cover fits onto, if my memory serves correct. Google stihl contra and then click on Images.
Old 11-02-14   #10 (permalink)

Yeah thats what i did earlier to make me think that there should be a clip on the front but couldnt make out if there was or not? Had another look at the cylinder and couldnt see where it might go
Dont know what i'll do with it now? Even looking at new cylinders for it, there isnt a clip on it? Was hoping a helpful arbtalker mght have one so i could see a close up front view