McCulloch - was there ever a good one ?!

TimberCutterDartmoor

Another make which some deride - Echo.

I have to say that I had two that were absolute blinders. Twin cylinder machines that were solid and powerful. Never seen them since. But in those days they were as good as the equivalent Stihl or Husky in bar length, but a lot cheaper.

As far as I'm aware, McCulloch went bust either this year or last and were sold out to Electrolux, thus coming in with Husky, Jonsered, Partner etc. I remember a particular model called the Timber Bear which came in 60, 70 and 80cc sizes. I've got an old video somewhere showing wartime felling - two old blokes both using McCullochs with the chain hanging about 4 inches off the bottom of the bar! I had assumed their use only due to little else available. After all, no-one was keen on German products in 1945 !

Talking of Echo, I like many other people who do professional hedgecutting swore by the HC2300 machine (single sided 30" cutter bar with clipping scoop). I still use it, it weighs loads but is bullet proof - again Japanese attention to detail seems to lack that German ruggedness and yet it IS just as rugged. The only swine was that Echo used to specify 25:1 mix thus smokey as heck; 50:1 is now standard based on modern oil performance. Either way, Echo all sprang out of Kioritz, Tokyo based 2-stroke engine builder that is in the same leaque as Kawasaki. None of this single piston ring malarky, but made to last.

My Dad grew up next to a small sawmill in Cornwall in the 50s and talks about how the man who operated it used McCulloch chainsaws. I have heard that years ago they were common in the industry or is that just a myth and rather they've always been complete crap ?

I grew up on my Fathers sawmill, he was a main agent for McColloch chainsaws, they then changed to Alpina in Europe . 70s through to early 80s they wer supposedly a match for any Husqi or stihl.

I am in the process of resurrecting my Fathers Last saw, an Alpina Forestter.

If I can get some photos scanned I will put them up of his old rally car which was decked out in the McColloch Livery

Well ,you folks on the other side of the broad Atlantic either missed it or you were too young for it .Mcculloch was the chainsaw in times past .

The ten series type porting has never to this day ever been duplicated .It was and still is the best ever .Not so much for speed but true brute power .

The McCulloch impulse oilers ,just like the ten series have never found an equal .Surprisingly to some these saws were made in the USA ,Canada ,Australia ,England ,Italy .Perhaps sold under different names but under all that camoflage they were Macs .

Further stating the big boys ,the 125 Macs ,while being now thirty years old will still cut with the best ever made in the large displacement saws .No matter what ,Ms 880 Stihl ,3120 Husky or oldies like the Sachs-Dolmar 166 .

• 3 weeks later...