Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaws Discuss chainsaw makes and models, pros and cons. Get advice on maintenance and day to day usage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-12   #11 (permalink)
Senior member, Raffle Sponsor 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Re: Husqvarna 254xp your thoughts?

ex saws got two and still use both as main ground saws,get it running and use it ,you know it make sense

Firewood and kindling for sale, Stroud, Gloucestershire
Old 08-06-12   #12 (permalink)

254xp is a great saw. Had one for many years now and, with a little regular uncomplicated maintenance, it runs/works as well today as it did when I bought it. Recommended (if you can find one!)
Old 08-06-12   #13 (permalink)

Great saw, goes for ever, got the power and fast cutting. Can be a bit temperamental on hot days when worked hard (but who isn't). Good clean, fresh petrol, new plug, tuned in, new air and petrol filter prob be as good as new. My old one now runs a auger.
Old 08-06-12   #14 (permalink)
bob
Senior Member, Raffle sponsor 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudulike View Post
Yup, good saw, bit like the 346XP of today, light, powerful and was the defacto groundsaw of that size in the day. Well made and reliable.

In good nick they will go for 200 perhaps more with a decent bar and chain.
where would you suggest selling a 254 or 2
always concerned re selling to e bay
Old 11-06-12   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob View Post
where would you suggest selling a 254 or 2
always concerned re selling to e bay
Ebay is the biggest market place and where you are likely to get the best price. Personally I usually do a vid to show it working and a compression check to show the engine is OK.

Not had any problems to date - I usually include the operators manual and strict instructions about how to mix the oil and fuel etc.

"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?".
Old 25-06-12   #16 (permalink)

Well it's finally back from the menders and based on the very quick few logs I cut with it it's shaping up to be a worthy rival to my 353s position as main saw I'm planning on fitting a new 15" bar and chain as the 18" it came with is a bit tired and at the mo it still owes me less than a nasty B&Q saw so I'm well happy
Old 27-06-12   #17 (permalink)

Got a chance to put a couple of tanks through the 254 today cutting up some old oak and I have to say I'm very impressed with the 15" bar it flies through the wood even with the bar fully buried so for the time being the 353 will be getting well and truly relegated to spare saw
Old 27-06-12   #18 (permalink)

As far as second hand saws go the bigger the better ( as the get used less ) .. ive had 2 huskies a 266 and a 268 xp both where exceptional saws .. used bigger huskiesw but in my humble opion they wernt worth the space they took up.. and again in m opinion when a saw need it crankcase opened its all over ( less power etc etc ..)just think of man hrs lost for unreliability .. when i was climbing id burn through a 20 in approx 10 months ( a few lasted longer ) but for me the newer saws always helped me ern. this is why id stick to one make and use the old ones for parts ..rember when i started it was like the old metal 20s then straight to a 56 then 76 then 90 ( when my 2 90 s where stolen in a burglary i was almost in tears ( they both had six foot bars )( ilost approx 10 k in saws on the first break in )
Old 09-07-12   #19 (permalink)

I know the old saying of if not broke don't fix but I'm considering fitting a new piston/ring just to give it a bit more go and wanted to know what peoples thoughts are. I have found a complete piston/ring/pin and clips kit on the bay made by Golf at what looks to be a good price but having never got into saws this far I don't know if Golf are any good or not and weather I'd just be better to leave it alone and just fix it if and/or when it gets more tired
Old 09-07-12   #20 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tractor62 View Post
I know the old saying of if not broke don't fix but I'm considering fitting a new piston/ring just to give it a bit more go and wanted to know what peoples thoughts are. I have found a complete piston/ring/pin and clips kit on the bay made by Golf at what looks to be a good price but having never got into saws this far I don't know if Golf are any good or not and weather I'd just be better to leave it alone and just fix it if and/or when it gets more tired
Usually I fit new pistons if they have been seized, are damaged or are a very sloppy fit causing low compression and piston slap on the bottom of the stroke.

First thing to do is to measure the compression with the saw cold but having run a few hours earlier - 150psi is good.

If the compression is at around the 135psi mark then it may need a new one - unfortunately, you will struggle to find a Meteor one for this saw, the choices are Golf (not too bad), Chinese unbranded - take your choice but beware of over tempered rings and OEM - probably around 80!

The base gasket on these saws was 0.7mm and fitting a thinner one is a possible way of beefing up the power!

"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?".