Petrol log splitter stolen - Huddersfield

Kev Stephenson

Stolen from a locked workshop/log store over the weekend. The splitter was ground anchored to a solid concrete floor but they have got in hacksawed the padlock and away they go.

Splitter is the same as the one in the link below with damage to the hinge point for one of the arms so easily identifiable

Handy Pro THPLS7TP 7 Ton Vertical Petrol Log Splitter – Next Day Delivery Handy Pro THPLS7TP 7 Ton Vertical Petrol Log Splitter

Lead flashing from a nearby house and 4 LIVE overhead power cables taken over the same weekend.

Not happy!!

Kev

Sorry to hear about that!! sods :(

This is not really relevant but:

Went to scrap yard the other day and was told that as of start of june, if i did bring anything up, i'd need to provide, driving licence or passport and a utility bill, and i would be paid in a cheque. (i just take up odd bits or replaced parts etc thrown in scrap bin)

He also said and laughed..... the thing is though there is one exemption.... if on you driving licence it says " fancy word " can't remember but if it says that which basically means so place of perminant address we can pay cash :001_huh:

So basically, travellers can still be paid cash as they have no fixed address etc :001_huh: so i can see a rise in stuff like scrap etc and travellers being aloud to carry on there business and not pay tax :) brilliant system! :001_rolleyes:

Again sorry to here your loss :( Hope it was insured!

Sorry to read this Kev, those rascally vagabonds require serious apprehending :thumbdown:

swinny, you are right, if you live in a mobile dwelling, of no Permanent address, chances are you wont have a bank account so they are required to pay cash in those circumstances. This is protect their rights. I was told this by a senior Police officer, who is on a committee to deal with just this situation, and his frustration was obvious.

Edited by Andy Collins
Addtional stuff

Thats crazy, no one has a basic right to deal in scrap metal, even if its not stolen, its still not a right! Its a business like any other, if travellers want to continue to do this kind of "work" then they can choose to get a bank account, and if not then stop doing it.

Sorry about the loss of the splitter though!

sorry too hear Kev, hate this sort of thing.

My lad had his cat cut off his l200 the other night and 8 were done in the village, i lent on the right people and got it back bur it was done by travellers about a mile away.

any one with an old shape l200/ranger be careful there a doddle to do!

Thats crazy, no one has a basic right to deal in scrap metal, even if its not stolen, its still not a right! Its a business like any other, if travellers want to continue to do this kind of "work" then they can choose to get a bank account, and if not then stop doing it.

Sorry about the loss of the splitter though!

I dont believe there is any law that states any of us must have a bank account? AFter all, cash and stamps are the only legal tender is this country. Any of us can refuse a cheque as payment, especially now as the cheques are no longer supported by the bank cards. With older people more confused by technology, not being able to get to grips with online banking, or not trusting it, cash is and will always be king. Like it or not, the travelling fraternity seem to got it right, they are the winners, we can only moan about it.

They were looking into a cheque system but don't think all have taken it up.

It's annoying for want of a better ord when machines get nicked.

I went to a scrappy for car bite a while ago and saw them hanging cables over a fire to melt the insulation off before getting the copper out?

Thought they couldn't do this any more!

I dont believe there is any law that states any of us must have a bank account? AFter all, cash and stamps are the only legal tender is this country. Any of us can refuse a cheque as payment, especially now as the cheques are no longer supported by the bank cards. With older people more confused by technology, not being able to get to grips with online banking, or not trusting it, cash is and will always be king. Like it or not, the travelling fraternity seem to got it right, they are the winners, we can only moan about it.

No I agree there is no law saying we have to have a bank account, and I would be against such law on principle, but I dont see it as a right to deal scrap metal.

Only qualified brain surgoens are allowed to be brain surgeons, surely if I want be a brain surgoen I have to qualify, and to be a scrappy metal collector a basic qualification should be to have a bank account. Just one bank account per traveler community would be enough.

They are stealing the man hole covers and powerlines!! Something needs to be donw, and "no cash" scrap yards is a good way forward but not if it doesnt apply to the very people that it needs to apply to.

[quote name=Rupe;678801

They are stealing the man hole covers and powerlines!! Something needs to be donw' date=' and "no cash" scrap yards is a good way forward but not if it doesnt apply to the very people that it needs to apply to.[/quote]

Allegedly, Rupe, allegedly! Sorry, am bored and a tad argumentative today! Need a life aarrrrgh!