Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaws Discuss chainsaw makes and models, pros and cons. Get advice on maintenance and day to day usage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-12   #31 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

Re: Re Big H

Quote:
Originally Posted by treedesign View Post
Thumbs up to the Big H
my 357 XPG is smaller but a stormer for every thing, Flawless
If you like the 357 try a 560 !
Old 10-05-12   #32 (permalink)

Re: MS 660 Back to the factory, chain brake handle getting hot!

Just caught up with this thread, Mattys farts worry me as he is a mile down the road

Stubbys suggestion of modifying the muffler seems like a very possible solution that will resolve the issue.

My addition is that perhaps when cutting large wood, perhaps hot exhaust gasses are being blown back from the timber on to the front of the saw - could this be the root cause?

The comments from Stihl make me chuckle, having worked for a German firm for 30 years, know just how it goes

"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?".
Old 10-05-12   #33 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2013

If Stihl can't fix it Steve d'you fancy a crack at it??

P.s Let me know when you can have a play with the 242

Cheers
Old 10-05-12   #34 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny Burch View Post
If Stihl can't fix it Steve d'you fancy a crack at it??

P.s Let me know when you can have a play with the 242

Cheers
I would be interested in a bit of investigation on the problem, sounds like too much heat is being retained around the muffler and is being absorbed by the handle.

Possible solutions are redirecting the exhaust gasses, placing a heat shield between the muffler and handle or having a heat shield on the handle or changing the material/design of the handle.

I will need to look in to the 242 and get back to you.

"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?".
Old 10-05-12   #35 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2011, 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudulike View Post
Just caught up with this thread, Mattys farts worry me as he is a mile down the road

Stubbys suggestion of modifying the muffler seems like a very possible solution that will resolve the issue.

My addition is that perhaps when cutting large wood, perhaps hot exhaust gasses are being blown back from the timber on to the front of the saw - could this be the root cause?

The comments from Stihl make me chuckle, having worked for a German firm for 30 years, know just how it goes
HI SPUD we get that mate when cutting a large butt no need for heated handle as the exhaust gasses come back on too you jon
Old 10-05-12   #36 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudulike View Post

It's not only on the big stuff It's even when I've been using it with a small bar and my Log-Loc.
Old 10-05-12   #37 (permalink)

it sounds just as you say exhaust not having a clear flow away sort of thing BUT and think before you modify anything.
These are professional tools and have been designed to work, not a DIY saw to cut the odd branch & be put away, they are made to work or so we are lead to believe. If this was a car it would HAVE to be recalled and I do think it is a big safety issue.
The so called powers that be make sure saws have breaks, try woking with an old saw pre break and you would be prosecuted if something went wrong.
Why do we british just put up with sub standard workmanship?

I would go for the jugular and get in touch with Stihl direct, your dealer will have you back & fore all summer trying to sort it, a new saw that is fit for the job is what you should be getting, after all thats what you paid for.
Bit of a rant but the big guys are fast enough telling us how good they are and taking the money.
Old 26-05-12   #38 (permalink)

Location: on the side of the mountain, in the middle of the forest

had same problem on my ms660, last year, brake handle failed, when it melted adjacent to the mounting point by the exhaust cover. had similar problem more recently with brake handle overheating when exhaust cover came loose during milling, had to araldite the exhaust studs in as loctite not enough, also the chain oiler casing burning if there is any oil roaming around whilst milling. seems like the saw could do with a modification to the exhaust cover to redirect the hot gases away for milling, doesn't seem to happen cross cutting as the saw never gets run for extended periods without a break, and so doesn't overheat. maybe the answer is to not run it for too long without a break.
Old 26-05-12   #39 (permalink)

I've not got one but be interested to have a nosey. Anyone got a pic of the front area?
Old 28-06-12   #40 (permalink)

Finally!!! Got the Saw back from Stihl. All they said was that there was some fine dust in it causing problems. Both myself and my dealer had the saw cleaned and there's no way that was the fault IMO. Would it be wrong to think that there might be something more serious wrong and that Stihl are just replacing these parts and not telling the truth?

Jonny