Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaws Discuss chainsaw makes and models, pros and cons. Get advice on maintenance and day to day usage.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-05-12   #11 (permalink)

Re: Next doer-upper recommendation please?

Quote:
Originally Posted by agg221 View Post
I recognise the question you're asking, but maybe an alternative perspective. You're looking for another saw in the same size bracket. Once done, that will give you three equivalent saws. Do you have anything in mind for them, or do you use saws at all? (not meant in any way negatively, just interested in whether the entertainment is in the fixing or the use, or both).

If you're actually using saws, one thing to consider might be to look out for a bigger one to extend the range of what you can do. If so, I'd keep an eye out for a siezed 044 which should turn up in the right price bracket (mine was 98!). You might then need to get someone to do a pressure check on it before you start dismantling (or set yourself up with a pressure testing kit) so you know what if anything leaks, and then give it a go. It's a good, solid model, pretty handy for up to a 20" bar and the parts are readily available.

Just a thought.

Alec
Thanks, that's a helpful and interesting comment.

I do use them, yes, although not for anything too exciting. Firewood mostly.

The main mission this time is to work on a Husky, but my next project will almost certainly be something bigger (I'm pretty much settled on a 254 for this one), and the 044 looks like a really good bet, so thanks for that.