Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.


Chainsaws Discuss chainsaw makes and models, pros and cons. Get advice on maintenance and day to day usage.


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 23-04-12   #11 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013
 
spudulike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 6,131
Re: Speeds up...slows down...speeds up...slows down (Stihl 028).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adamam View Post
Yeah, that's great (and what I reckoned), thanks!

This impulse pipe replacement looks like it requires the entire saw in pieces! Assuming I can even find a replacement impulse hose...

Think I've bitten off more than I can chew maybe. That said, I hate quitting!

Not much point spending tens and tens of quids on a saw this old I guess...

No, it pushes on to a connector under the carb inlet boot and pushes through the rear of the air box cover - fairly simple job, give it a light spray of WD40 to ease it through!
__________________
Spud:
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid

"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?".
spudulike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 23-04-12   #12 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Adamam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 267
Re: Speeds up...slows down...speeds up...slows down (Stihl 028).

Quote:
Originally Posted by spudulike View Post
No, it pushes on to a connector under the carb inlet boot and pushes through the rear of the air box cover - fairly simple job, give it a light spray of WD40 to ease it through!



I think we're talking at cross-purposes. The tank vent look easy enough, but the impulse hose (split) looks impossible to even attempt without major disassembly, no?

Not that I can find a replacement online anyway, so the point is slightly moot!



Might just retire it to the long-term pile and buy something ready to go.

You don't have anything suitable/used for sale at the moment do you? Your reputation for used gear seems superb!


Adamam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12   #13 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013
 
GardenKit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,390
Re: Speeds up...slows down...speeds up...slows down (Stihl 028).

Impulse hose part number 1115 141 8600.

As spud says, easy enought to replace, but a little fiddly. Pulling the av,s may let the handle drop a little to increase space, but if you do that you will also have to push the manifold out. Put a loop of greased string around it to pull it back through
__________________
Independent Garden Machinery dealer and Aspen dealer in Devon
GardenKit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12   #14 (permalink)
Senior Member
 
Adamam's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Lincoln
Posts: 267
Re: Speeds up...slows down...speeds up...slows down (Stihl 028).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenKit View Post
Impulse hose part number 1115 141 8600.

As spud says, easy enought to replace, but a little fiddly. Pulling the av,s may let the handle drop a little to increase space, but if you do that you will also have to push the manifold out. Put a loop of greased string around it to pull it back through
Ok, brilliant!

So if I detach the AV joints (?) I should be able to separate the two main parts of the case enough to get in and attack the impulse line, is that right?

Thanks so much!
Adamam is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12   #15 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013
 
GardenKit's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Devon
Posts: 3,390
Re: Speeds up...slows down...speeds up...slows down (Stihl 028).

It will give a bit more space. Push the hose through from the carb side and pull from the back until it snaps into place in the backplate. Use some long, thin pliers to push it over the nipple if your fingers are too clumsy. Then ease the handle back over the boot, pulling the boot through with the slippery string which you have wrapped under the flange, so as not to damage the rubber. When its through gently unwrap the string.
Reassemble Avs and carb etc.

No kisses please
__________________
Independent Garden Machinery dealer and Aspen dealer in Devon
GardenKit is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-12   #16 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013
 
spudulike's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Hertfordshire
Posts: 6,131
Re: Speeds up...slows down...speeds up...slows down (Stihl 028).

Quote:
Originally Posted by GardenKit View Post
It will give a bit more space. Push the hose through from the carb side and pull from the back until it snaps into place in the backplate. Use some long, thin pliers to push it over the nipple if your fingers are too clumsy. Then ease the handle back over the boot, pulling the boot through with the slippery string which you have wrapped under the flange, so as not to damage the rubber. When its through gently unwrap the string.
Reassemble Avs and carb etc.

No kisses please
If you know a gynacologist, borrow some of his tools It isn't too difficult, as Barrie says, flat head screwdriver to pop off the tube off the crank case connector, little bit of lube around where it pushes through the airbox and then push it through, retrieve and the opposite to fit the new one.

Long nose pliers are useful to help put make sure you don't damage the new tube on fitting - use the standard OEM part, fitting a "bit of tube" isn't a good idea as there is movement between the handle and crankcase.
__________________
Spud:
Life is tough but it's tougher when you're stupid

"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?".
spudulike is offline  
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Stihl km 85r Arbtrader Trading Place 0 29-12-11 03:10 PM
Stihl MS 660 - (are there any Stihl service guys out there!!) Canopy Tree Services General chat 13 27-11-11 10:25 PM
Slows are ripening. What is your Recipe for Slow Gin? Tony.Price General chat 9 15-09-11 08:22 PM
I'm selling my Twin Stihl 076 AV's on Stihl LSG950 Chain Mill timpascall Milling Forum 2 16-05-11 10:20 AM
Stihl armchairarborist General chat 6 12-05-11 08:40 PM


Find tree care advice

Search Engine Friendly URLs by vBSEO 3.3.0