Husky 353 vs 550XP for occasional user?

tewdric

I am after a new saw to replace my ageing 357XP. The 357 is slight overkill for what I use it for - mainly chopping firewood up to 15" max plus some limbing. I like th epower of the 357 for the former, but I find it a bit rev happy for limbing and find it gets hot easily.

I tend to have a frenzied couple of days working the saw hard but it can then stay in the garage for up to a couple of months doing nothing.

I've had some safety training from a professional arborist and always wear the right kit, but I'm by no means an expert user, so if either saw is prone to reliability issues from operator error I'll probably find out!

I've decided to go down to a 50cc ish machine and have narrowed down the choice on paper to the venerable 353 and the new 550XP.

I'd appreciate views on which would be best for my needs, and any other tips on keeping the saw in good reliable condition with this sort of use. Thanks guys!

i would say that either of those saws are more than what you need,if they are going tobe sat for a couple of months at a time, would seem like an awful waste of money to me, i would go down the route of a semi pro/farm saw, just my opinion tho

i would say that either of those saws are more than what you need,if they are going tobe sat for a couple of months at a time, would seem like an awful waste of money to me, i would go down the route of a semi pro/farm saw, just my opinion tho

Thanks Miker. Would a smaller saw like a 435 be up to the job?

I agree with Miker that if you got a pro saw it may never be used to its full potential but that won t hurt it . Also it does not mean you cant have one if you want one . I would get the best saw I could afford . The bigger the powerhead the least stressed it would be so the longer it will last ( providing out do the usual maintaining of it ) You fill yer boots bud ! :thumbup:

I was after an occasional saw and after a long thread and lots of indecision, I got a 550XP.

My use is more infrequent than yours too.

It's a wonderful piece of kit and I feel re-assured that for most of what I use it for, it is running well within it's limits so hopefully shouldn't get abuse

Just because you buy a Ferrari doesn't mean you have to go at 150mph all the time. :001_smile:

I have a 353 that gets used for coppicing and logging fairly full time and so far I can't fault it I have had a play with a friends 550xp and it is a cracking little saw however IMHO it is a bit like the 346xp in that all the power is right at the top of its rev range whereas the 353 seems to have a better spread of power and torque. For what you have said you want to do with it I'd go for a 353. Hope this helps

Tractor62 (Graham)

I have a 353 that's 8 years old now and up until recently was my main small saw for thinning etc and it's been great. I prefer the way it delivers the power to a 346 but the only thing I could really fault was that it used to eat clutch springs, and I know of at least two other people who had said similar.

I retired it a few weeks ago with a 550 and that's so far been awesome. If you find your 357 is overkill, then a 550 will be too.

if the saw is going to be sat for a while, either drain your fuel(and bin it) or use aspen, dont use stale fuel in your saw, always use fresh mix, clean the clutch/brake , give bar and chain a splash of wd 40, clean your air filter, should be good to go next time you use it, agree with others get the best saw that you can afford, will last for a good while but think about how much you will use it, in relation that it will be idle, happy buying