Welcome to the Arbtalk.co.uk | Discussion Forum for Arborists.

If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Chainsaws Discuss chainsaw makes and models, pros and cons. Get advice on maintenance and day to day usage.

Thank you for all your donations. The total we have raised this year for The Childrens Trust so far is 1545!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 16-04-12   #1 (permalink)

Husqvarna bar tip grease gun

Recently bought a Husqvarna Grease Gun for greasing the bar tip and clutch bearing as pictured below

I can't for the life of me work out how to use it!

The only moving part on it is a cap inside that I thought I perhaps had to push down to force the grease out but all that happens is that the grease comes up round your thumb and not out the end? What I originally thought would happen is you place the metal tip inside the bar then push down on the whole unit but that doesn't move so can't be right either. There was no packaging or instructions with it to look at either.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Old 16-04-12   #2 (permalink)

I struggled with the husky one, I spent 11 for the Oregon one with 3 packets of grease. When you push down it should pump the grease out. So your thoughts are correct. Sounds like a faulty bit of kit to me!

---
I am here: http://tapatalk.com/map.php?xxyzfn
Old 16-04-12   #3 (permalink)

Re: Husqvarna bar tip grease gun

Just need to get the air pocket out.
Old 16-04-12   #4 (permalink)

glad to hear iam not the only one who struggles with this ,seems everything exept the sprocket gets greased!!
Old 16-04-12   #5 (permalink)

So does the Oregon one work a lot better OnFootForestry? I'll have another look at it but to me it doesn't seem very good at all.

Yes agree Carlos, no grease goes where you want it to! All over my finger and none on the saw
Old 16-04-12   #6 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashes_Firewood View Post
Recently bought a Husqvarna Grease Gun for greasing the bar tip and clutch bearing as pictured below

I can't for the life of me work out how to use it!

The only moving part on it is a cap inside that I thought I perhaps had to push down to force the grease out but all that happens is that the grease comes up round your thumb and not out the end? What I originally thought would happen is you place the metal tip inside the bar then push down on the whole unit but that doesn't move so can't be right either. There was no packaging or instructions with it to look at either.

Any ideas what I am doing wrong?
Just to be sure -- You don't put the nozzle in the bar groove , you put it in the small hole on the side of the nose of the bar . Forgive me if that what you are doing . The only trouble I have with these is the red cap falls off all the time . Mine always pump grease through the hole into the sprocket nose though . There is a recent post suggesting its best to never grease them at all - - - -
Old 16-04-12   #7 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2012, 2013

I have found these to be good on the old Huskys with the hollow crank shaft end with the grease hole under the clutch sprocket but personally avoid greasing bar tips as it tends to accumulate dust and jams the sprocket tip in the end when buried in the cut.

"speed's just a question of money. How fast you wanna go?".
Old 16-04-12   #8 (permalink)
Senior Member, Raffle Sponsor 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

I have never greased the bar tip and think it's better not to, as Spud says it just attracts crud.
Old 16-04-12   #9 (permalink)

Yes been putting it in the side of the bar at the grease point, not in the groove
I've never greased the bar before but I recently fitted a new bar and found that the sprocket keeps clogging up & jamming so I was going to grease it and see if that helped?
Old 16-04-12   #10 (permalink)

As others have said greasing sprocket tips is at best a waste of time and at worst will wear them out more quickly.
However those little guns are absolutely perfect for greasing hard to get at muffler bearings.