honda mower problem.

carlos

hi i have a honda HRB 535 mower that after being run when turned off floods petrol out from the choke flap area( air filter removed) with a kinda hissing noise and fails to start iam guessing that the carb is flooding some how any ideas how to fix????

thanks carl.

hi i have a honda HRB 535 mower that after being run when turned off floods petrol out from the choke flap area( air filter removed) with a kinda hissing noise and fails to start iam guessing that the carb is flooding some how any ideas how to fix????

thanks carl.

Sounds like you have a bit of crud in the float chamber needle valve

Take the bowl off the bottom of the carb and carefully take out the pin that the float hinges on. When you remove the float the cut off valve/ pin will come with it.

You can then clean out the the hole and valve seat, there may be something as fine as a hair in there just preventing the valve from seating properly and thus not shutting the fuel off

thanks guys will try that although the carb is awkward to get off, lots of gaskets, some of which i have just replaced so i suspect the problem may be of my own making wouldnt be the first time either!

thanks again.

carl

The only cause for flooding when the engine is stopped is, as Dean says, a contaminated float valve seat or needle. This is quite common. A punctured float is possible but rare. If the leakage is only slight the engine may consume the petrol whilst running and therefore not effect the running. A greater leakage than can be used will choke the engine to a halt.

If petrol is pushed out of the air filter whilst the engine is running, then the inlet valve is not fully closing, but this is quite rare.

Reassembly of the carb gaskets and heat shields incorrectly will not cause flooding, but will result in starting and running problems. A couple of 5mm steel rods will assist in lining up the bits whilst reassembly takes place.

Found some pics of the rods used in assembling the carb to the machine. This is on a GCV, but its similar to a GX. When the air filter base is on, push it firmly against the engine to hold everything in place, withdraw one rod and replace with a bolt. Nip this up, then replace the second one.

597660238dd48_gardenkit016.JPG.7ef721e68cd8bc39ed90beb3833946ad.JPG

5976602388bca_gardenkit014.JPG.5f67bdc9e88be93b57e9c0a9f7b2f3fd.JPG

597660238608c_gardenkit015.JPG.ec9857141161147369d43f157e32f426.JPG

thanks for the photos garden kit, i have just taken it all apart didnt see anything obvious but put back together and started it and stoped it a few times with no flooding so fingers crossed although intermitent problems are the worst.

so once again big thanks to the folk of arbtalk.

cheers carl