Heavy Duty Trailer tyres

Dean Lofthouse

I have an indespension 3.5t trailer that I use to run my mewp about.

With the mewp on it weighs 3500kg dead.

The problem I'm having is the tyres I am running on it are load rated at 900kg each....four tyres... meaning I am running the tyres at near their maximum load rating all the time.

So far I have blown three tyres. I've looked around for replacement tyres that are rated a lot higher and that will fit on my stud spacings but have failed to find anything.

The tyres I'm running are 195/50R13 104/101N with 5 1/2J 13H2 5 stud rims

Does anyone know of a tyre with a load rating more around the 118-120 mark that will fit either my existing rims or a wheel and tyre combo that will fit my stud spacing

Thanks

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the same problem, like you couldn't find anything with higher rating so ended buying tri-axle trailer to solve the problem. Not a cheap alternative but the only one i could find.:thumbdown:

Grossing 3.5t on a standard trailer and with a third axle you legally have a reduced payload. Seems a bit strange that a trailer rated for 3.5t doesn't, have adequate rubber on it? I,ll take look and see what we have on ours.

Word of warning in the current economic climate that someone I know ordered online and paid in full two weeks ago for a couple of Michelins from a large well known tyre firm as it would be at least £60 less than going in to the garage and various excuses still being made as to when in stock. (I am told Trading Standard will be involved on Monday by close of business)

years ago i had an ivor with those 13" tires on them. had loads of problems with them. traded it in after 2 years and the next trailer came with 12" wheels (same over all diamater just more rubber on the side walls) problems all sorted with the different size tires