husky 268 wont start

miker

used 268 for about an hour this morning ringing up some ash, got home about 2 hours later and it wouldnt start, got fuel,spark,cleaned the air filter, reset hi/lo, whipped exhaust off, all ok there, help!!!!!!!!!!

Change the air filter and spark plug - that'll waste £15:001_rolleyes:

You should know the procedure - you got spark - good, you got fuel - is the plug wet? very wet?? - puddled fuel in the crankcase???

Compression - sounds like the piston exhaust side is ok so sounds like fuel to me.

The other one that comes up once in a while is sheared flywheel key - if the thing is backfiring - then change your underwear and then check the flywheel key is intact - a backfiring saw is a bit scary when it isn't what you are expecting!

Good luck - you can always send it to someone who knows what they are doing:001_tt2:

Possibly the choke isn't sealing properly or the fast idle carb mechanism isn't engaging properly - seen this on a 254 and my 181 - the big un almost killed me until I found it:blushing:

If you pull a saw over 10-15 times with the choke on, expect to see puddled fuel in the crankcase and if you take the plug out and pull it over upside down then expect vapour and fuel running out of the plug hole. If this isn't happening then it looks like the carb isn't doing its job.

Try starting it with the fuel cap loose - may be a breather problem.

Try starting it with the throttle full on - may need two people - it may kick it in to life - you can use a gas torch on the plug - warming it helps vapourise the fuel and gets the engine firing.

It may just be a loose carb, fuel pipe/filter, impulse circuit or dirt in the carb - sounds like fuel though!

thanks mate, the only thing i havent tried is pulling it over with throttle fully open, need to get the misses to hold her flat out for me, that seems to work with blowers etc wen they wont catch, the beer count is getting quite big now , lol, appreiciate all the advice you give, cheers mike

• 2 weeks later...

One the 'flywheel key' part - it reminds me that if the timing slips a two-stroke can run backwards = triple underpants:sad:.

old rule of thumb was to only work on 'ign or carb' one at a time as you can put faults in, and get into a total mixup:confused1:

If the plug gets wet, leave the plug out to dry the piston & lower crank far say 30 min and use a new hot plug.