Stihl 056AV Super Eletronic

windfall

Hi,

A Stihl 056AV Super Eletronic saw has just been advertised on our local classified site.

The lady couldnt give me much info other than its her ex partners and he has asked her to sell it cause he needs the money. She said he has an idea of what its worth and was after offers. I have said i dont do offers and if he wants to sell it then name his price.

Anyone got any ideas on a price for a saw that is supposed to run ok.

I am thinking around the £100 mark.

My first post here after hanging around for a while so hello everyone. I've had quite a bit to do with Stihl 056 saws over the years and would disagree with some of the earlier posts. They mostly run 3/8 chain on 3003 mount bars but you can swap over to .404 if you want. As regards weight they aren't light but not that much heavier than a 064 or 066 and a Super will perform somewhere between the two with not quite the revs but plenty of torque.They come into their own with bars over 24". Below that you need an 8 tooth sprocket (or 9 if you can find one!) to keep up with a smaller new saw. Build quality is very high and they are one of the last all metal Stihl saws. Most of the parts are still available other than pistons and cylinders for the MagII which is rare over here. (93cc and 6.8hp, Super is 87cc and 6.1hp)

The main weak point is the Bosch ignition but that can be swapped for a SEM from a TS350 Disc cutter provided you can find a 056 SEM flywheel.

As regards value a really good one will make £250 to £300 but you see them for less if rough.The paint work is usually a good guide to how hard a life they have led. If you are only cutting big stuff occasionally they are a real alternative to the 064/066 or newer 660 with the advantage of no choked up exhausts or limited adjustment on the carbs. If you can get one for £100 in good nick with a decent length bar I would snap it up. You can't check the piston easily as the exhaust doesn't come off easily but try and check the compression. It should be over 150psi but I've got a non Super which is over 200psi that will pull a 36" bar no trouble. Hope this helps. :001_smile:

• 1 year later...

Hi all, first post so bare with me, I have a stihl 056av super, given to me, checked it all over and has good compression, brake works all switches seem ok, all that seems to be missing is the exhaust/muffler is there a place in the UK I can get one, hope someone can help.

Thanks for any replies, Steve

597664b99bdab_photo(3).jpg.663f2223b61dcf3b71ea157a53506817.jpg

597664b99a1e8_photo(2).jpg.d7f71e3caef18cfd172f02222ec09d97.jpg

597664b998a3a_photo(1).jpg.776ebbcf0102e414fb7da2a570d3df87.jpg

photo.jpg.3d967ff99621c9f67ddd64ef179e22e7.jpg

As maico said they can be troublesome until the ignitions updated but trying to get the sem flywheel can be as rare as trying to buy hens teeth...

As any saw prices vary and saws that era vary quite a bit depending on its condition and also bar length. I would certainly ensure its got a good spark before buying, if not walk away and not bother as you will regret it.

Cant really comment on using one as such tho but theres always something satisfying about using an old saw and the torque of the motor...

Hi all, first post so bare with me, I have a stihl 056av super, given to me, checked it all over and has good compression, brake works all switches seem ok, all that seems to be missing is the exhaust/muffler is there a place in the UK I can get one, hope someone can help.

Thanks for any replies, Steve

Ooooh I bet your other half loves you:001_rolleyes::lol: