8 pin sproket for a husky 346xp

WoodED

i have a silver sided husky 346xp, i have just been on clarks forestry and seen they do 8 and 9 pin sprokets,,, what changes for i need to make to run an 8 pin sproket with a 15 inch bar? or could i run it with a 9 pin?

would i need a bigger chain?

I run 8pin on my 346xpg and when i have new chain made up i have and extra drive link inserted as a standard chain will have to be forced onto the sprocket, with a 9pin you would probably want two extra drive links, tbh im not sure how well the saw would run a 9pin but mine is ace with 8pin on it

whats the advantage??

iam a bit ignorent when it comes to different chain ,bar ,sprockets etc

is the any books on this subjects??

cheers carl

Bigger sprocket = more chain speed but less torque

In softwood I run my 372 on full chisel, low rakers, 8 tooth sprocket and 15" bar and it's awesome.

Can't help on the 346 though Ed - it'll be the same as my 353 but I run that on the standard 7 tooth. I would have thought though, if you can make a 9 tooth fit it will bog a fair bit with a 15" on it.

not on mine, Jonesie's has done them so they just have a extra gap between two cutters, if you had an extra 2 or 3 drive links then you would end up with two cutters on the same side

I should also add mine is on narrow kerf chain so its not cutting so much timber, thus requiring less tourque

EDIT: on a 8pin sprocket i wouldnt add two drive links, one is sufficent

not on mine, Jonesie's has done them so they just have a extra gap between two cutters, if you had an extra 2 or 3 drive links then you would end up with two cutters on the same side

I should also add mine is on narrow kerf chain so its not cutting so much timber, thus requiring less tourque

EDIT: on a 8pin sprocket i wouldnt add two drive links, one is sufficent

thanks for the advice mate

cheers for explaining that( embarrsingly simple really!)

prob stick to the normal one as i somtimes use an 18" bar.

can any one recomend a good 18 bar for this saw as mines knackered???

the oregon prolight bars are good