ms660 fuel leak

canoehead

hi, having a headache trying to resolve a fuel leak on my MS660.

the fuel tank steps down in size at about the half way mark, and there is a seam on the inside, at which point the fuel appears to be escaping out from, (it bubbles on that seam when the saw is running). i am assuming that the fuel tank is one piece rotomolded, and not two sections joined together.

now the outer part of that seam appears to flange out into the trigger housing/handle, and it looks like a rupture could possibly have been caused in the tank at that point by the torsion the handle is under when i stick my enormous chainsaw booted foot on the handle to start it.

have inspected the fuel hoses and connecting block, and the tank breather, and all seem to be in working order. is there anywhere else between the fuel tank and the carb that fuel could leak out, and then run down the tank?

no doubt i am missing something startlingly obvious.

still with a lot of timber to mill, under the pressure of time, and a house to be built, and now somewhat perplexed. oh i might add i'm living half way up a mountain in the middle of a forrest in the center of portugal where i can't get someone else to look at my saw. any ideas? anyone. (obviously i should've thought of that before moving here), anyone?

Canhead, the comments here may seem flippant, but are realistic.

If the saw is out of warranty, I would personally live with it. The best answer would be to replace the tank but lets face it, if your 660 is anything like mine when milling you wont even get 3 planks out of a tank of fuel, so the little that comes out in that time is nothing.

After all, fuel is cheap over here now (only about the same price as cheap supermarket ale), so fill it, use it, empty it.

If it is the tank thats leaking, you could fix it with araldite (sp).

May years ago I spiked the tank on my 020, I emptied the tank, roughed up the area with some sandpaper and glued a patch (a piece of plastic) over the hole, it lasted for years.

If it is the tank thats leaking, you could fix it with araldite (sp).

May years ago I spiked the tank on my 020, I emptied the tank, roughed up the area with some sandpaper and glued a patch (a piece of plastic) over the hole, it lasted for years.

Araldite (epoxy resin) rocks, I did the same trick with an 020 but I went rich and glued a 5DM coin (the price of 2 beers) over the hole.

Repairing the tank on the old 020 required dismantling the entire saw:thumbdown:

araldite. why didn't i think of that.? superb answer. now, that is exactly why i joined this forum. this is the environment if you don't fix it, it will stay that way. thanks for all the advice.