Stihl MS261 - first impressions

morten

One night Last week, some creeps smashed a window in my van and ran off with three Stihl saws.

I was upset and irritated, but I have insurance coverage so it is not a great financial burden, except I decided to go all-in when replacing the saws.

I decided on:

• MS 200T (12") for majority of climbing use.
  • MS 261 (15") for must ground work
  • MS 660 (20" + 28") for the big stuff, and for milling with my Alaskan mills (mini mill and mill mk III).

First impressions of the MS 261 leaves me with a feeling of having made the right choice (for a brief moment, I considered getting a Husqvarna 246XP but due to spares availability and conservatism, I chose to stay loyal to Stihl).

:thumbup1: Improvements over the MS 260:

• Better fuel economy (20%).
  • Lower emissions (50%).
  • Marginally more power (7%).
  • Better acceleration (needed to compete with Husky).
  • Better air filter (keeps more dust out of the engine).
  • Bar nuts are now trapped by the cover, so you don't risk the uncomfortable feeling of dropping your nuts in 6 inches of snow ;-)

:thumbdown: Only down side, as far as I can tell:

• Weight has increased by 0,4 kg (approx 6% with bar/chain/fuel/oil).

I liked my old MS 260 a lot. One small thing that irritated me, though was that I could take off the shroud without using any tools, but needed a screwdriver to take off the air filter itself. What was the point then?

With the MS261 Stihl decided to reverse the situation. Now you have to use a screwdriver (combi-spanner) for taking off the shroud (which now covers the area all the way forward to the chain break, easing cleaning of cylinder), but they made the new air-filter removable without need for tools. :confused1:

Any of you guys have any gripes with the MS261 (except: "It isn't a Husqvarna"), or anything you would have liked Stihl to have done differently?

you have pretty much copied me for range of saws, although im still on a 260, i have the same other 2 saws.

Ive not had a go on the 261, but like the looks of it and would like to have the more up to date saw tbh, when working near conifers and tight spaces those fumes really make it difficult!

Ive been waiting for a post about this new saw as i was thinking about buying myself a late christmas present to make up for all the useless rubbish i got, anyone want a computer mouse in the shape of a porshe!?:biggrin: And my 240 piston popped on the first day back to work after christmas.

No spares availability issues on the 346XP morten. Just hearsay if anything.

In my local area, I might have a spares availability issue with 246XP, although I acknowledge that there are no such issues in general.

Another issue - parts for Husky are more expensive that comparable Stihl parts, too, but that wouldn't be much of an issue, tbh.

But my choice is mostly down me to being comfortable with my local Stihl reseller and their workshop, and knowing the Stihl build/assembly better.

I didn't intend this posting to become a Stihl MS261 vs Husqvarna 346 XP discussion though. Both are brilliant saws!

when working near conifers and tight spaces those fumes really make it difficult!

Use Aspen 2T, in those situations (I use it exclusively).

It honestly makes a lot of difference. The fumes are much less disturbing, and you never experience nausea after a days work due to exhaust fumes from Aspen, which I have done in the past with other people's home-brewed oil mix.