MS 261 Reveiw

Mike Hill

I was given a couple new saws to Trial and a MS261 is one of them.

First impression is that the Saw is heavy for its size.The controlls are in the same format as all Sthil rear Handle saws.

The top cover is one peice.To remove this to access the Spark Plug and Air Filter you turn three Bolts half a turn.Its a nice system.

The Air intake systen seems very effective.I have been using this Saw alot in the last few days,cutting Logs to length and there was barely any detris stuck on the outside of the Air Filter.

The saw has a Decompression valve fitted.

The Air Filter is a Circular shape,similar to the after market high Flow Filters some attach to modded Saws.The Filter is removed by rotating it half a turn.

The Clutch and Sprocket assembly will be faimilar to Sthil users.The Saw is available with a hand operated chain tensioning system.The one I have now has the more normal screw operated system.

The Anti Vibration system is excellent,there are few felt vibrations when running this saw.Good news if the Nerves in your hands feel like mine.

The saw came with a 12" Bar and .325" Chain

User impressions.

I was very supprised with the livelyness of this saw.For limbing and cutting smaller timber the high chainspeed,and power of this saw is supprising.

I felt that the old 026 was a bit of a Slug.This saw bears little resemblance to the old 026 in either shape or performance.I feel that this saw fills the gap in performance between an 020 and larger groundsaw,both on the ground and in the Tree.

IMG_7442.jpg.a9705cc34fa7fab80049983e848d5a96.jpg

IMG_7441.jpg.b5881b38d605047d1e510457c30f3498.jpg

IMG_7440.jpg.6019be61596d798acf255e96d37302c9.jpg

IMG_7439.jpg.90d0deace00ecc1b34a0db508b8c0542.jpg

IMG_7443.jpg.5fa5163a53800ac0664d53d412a180d2.jpg

Good info Mike, The problem ive found with the 26's in the past, Is that they are very sluggish for me (you touched on it too), They are nice and light tho but just havent got enough pep for me.

Hopefully someone i know/work with will buy a 261 so i can have a bash, I do like trying new saws out :001_smile:

Thanks Mike, i run 2 026's as ground saws and love them, the anti vibs are the thing that lets them down though, never felt sluggish to me to be honest. when these get over here i will upgrade the 026's for sure.

To someone who hasn't a lifetime of saw use and is far from being an expert that's a concise, well written and meaningful review.

When I come to replace my groundsaw this is one I'll definitely look at.

Thanks a lot.