MS200T oil leak.

Mesterh

Anyone else having problems with there 200t leaking chain oil from the gasket between the crankcase halves? Which means a total strip down to do a proper repair, and since I have another one to do this weekend I'm getting a bit bored of it now to say the least.:cry:

I've had 5 do this now :thumbsdown: What happens is the gasket gets pulled inside the crankcase and the oil leaks out. I assume this is caused by a vacuum in the oil tank as the level drops, probably due to the vent getting blocked or something. Btw since I'm a cheapskate :) I use the cheapest engine oil about not anti-fling stuff so im wondering if this contributes to the problem, or do I need to just start cleaning the saws more often?

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problems or knows the proper solution?

Cheers

I use the cheapest engine oil about not anti-fling stuff so im wondering if this contributes to the problem, or do I need to just start cleaning the saws more often?

Just wondering if anyone else has the same problems or knows the proper solution?

Cheers

Mine have not had that problem for years last time i recall a lot of leaky 020s was when we where using engine oil though...how old are the saws?

I have never heard of this problem.

I would imagine that since you have had so many do it, it is something you are doing wrong and not the fault of the saw.

Putting thin engine oil in will cause the pump to pump it through very quickly and will most likely be causing a vacuum as you say.

The oil viscocity is very important.

Saws are between say 6 months to 4 years old, the 6 month old one hasnt done it yet.

If no one else is having this prob then its gotta be the oil, unless any others are using engine oil and there saws ok?

The oil I use is the stuff you can buy from morrisons,asda etc for about £4.30 ish, used to be about £2.50 up to about 12 months ago:scared:

Btw any1 got any prices on 45 gallon drums of chain oil? Maybe time to invest in some.

Never had that problem and I've had 9 020's over the years.

Btw any1 got any prices on 45 gallon drums of chain oil? Maybe time to invest in some.

Last drum I got cost around £200,but it was around 12 months ago.:wave:

stop being a cheap skate my good man its a false econemy.

I'm not allways that cheap. Sometimes I even use oil before its past through the engine of my truck:corkysm21:

Last drum I got cost around £200,but it was around 12 months ago.

Cheers I'll have look about and see what prices I can get.

If your interested we do Stihl chain oil 20L for £26.21 + VAT.

I'd imagine the postage would bump that up abit :D Btw whats the price on a new carb for a 200t?

Surely there must be a few other tight gits who use cheapo oil?

Cheers for the info fellas looks like its deffo the problem.