Mccolloch CS50S experiences?

neiln

Anybody got experiences of this saw? I understand McColloch is owned by Husqvarna and understand from reading some US sites that this saw is the same as the newer Poulan Pro 5020, but with a different bar. I don't know but would guess at an Oregon bar. I know the older Poulan pro has been around about 5 years and is thought of as an excellent saw for the cash, a bit under US$200 for a 50cc saw that pulls a 20" bar/chain ok. A bit heavy but actually quite reliable, sharing a lot of the parts with a Husky saw...err...the 450 i think. Many of the Poulan parts are even stamped with the Husky mark. It seems the Poulan pro is a great homeowner saw for what it costs. If all that applies to the McColloch then it seems tempting. I say that as I can't find the Poulan on sale this side of the pond and although I've found ebay sellers that ship internationally shipping is £50+, as is import taxes, so the Poulan pro ends up approaching £260, however I found the McColloch for £215, plus it may be a better bar (the poulan gets an odd 20" bar which takes an odder 70 link chain, so although i know nothing of the mccollochs bar it can only be better). What i don't know though is if the Mccolloch sold here is the same as that in the US market, and hence the same as the Poulan

I get arb waste from a local tree surgeon and process my own firewood, about 6 or 7m3 a year. My little Stihl ms180 copes ok for that but I do get a few larger crotchety bits from time to time that are harder work with a small saw! Since I have a load of Ash like this currently I've thought about a bigger saw capable of a 18" bar. It would probably only get used 2 or 3 hours a year so although I'm a fan of good tools I can't justify a larger stihl or Husky, and I'd rather make do with just patience and my little stihl than buy a cheap pain in the rear, unreliable piece of rubbish. However if the McColloch is something that could be relied upon for its work for many years I might stretch to it.

So anybody got experience or knowledge on it? Thanks

No comments from anyone? I thunk I'm taking that as, 'Mccolloch are rubbish throw away saws, best to avoid.' In that case I will avoid. I might try and remember to keep an ear out though, since none of the selling websites seem to have any reviews of the CS50 S I guess its new. I know its the updated Poulan pro 5020 (just a few minor tweaks i think), so perhaps there wasn't a Mccolloch version of the older saw in the UK....or perhaps Mccolloch over here is not the same as in the states....same saw but built in a different part of the world can often mean a drop in quality.

Looks like I'll stick to my small stihl and going patiently on bigger logs.

No comments from anyone? I thunk I'm taking that as, 'Mccolloch are rubbish throw away saws, best to avoid.'

I think it's probably more that nobody on here has used them so can not give an opinion. You could buy one and find it suits you down to the ground then pass your experience on for anyone else who might be in the same position. Personally I bought an old Stihl 036 for £120 on Gumtree and with a bit of tinkering it's been good.

I'd be very happy with an older used Stihl second hand so long as it had no major problems. However I'm too busy to buy a fixerupa and learn to fix it, and not knowledgeable enough to know what to look for to ensure I didn't buy a saw with problems!

As you say, I guess no one here has used the mccolloch. Most people here seem to be pros using higher end tools and the mccolloch is probably not the type pf tool they usually look into.

I shan't be buying it though, the info I'm getting from others is that mccolloch are poor and spares aren't available so when they break you bin them. It's possible the CS50S is a better saw, but I'm not going to risk it unless I start to hear good reviews from the UK users.

generally the cheap saws dont hold up, nor can you get the spares to maintain them, over here at least. Its why started my research on the american sites where i knew they have so many more homeowners with saws and homeowner brands. I was still surprised to find such a well recieved saw as the poulan so cheap, its $179 and some times on sale for less! If i could verify the mccolloch we get is the same as the US mccollloch and not made somewhere different to poorer QC then I'd buy it, even at £215 as I'd be confident it were reliable and I could get spares if needed, even if they had to be soured from the states.

You shouldn't have a problem getting parts for the newer McCulloch equipment my local husqvarna dealer gets my stuff if I need it or rochfords have most parts for McCulloch I've got a Mac 450 elite which is assembled in the same factory as the the husq560

I have several older macs but the newer stuff I have is 40cc pro brushcutter 21" rotary mower heavy duty cultivator and I got a neighbour a new ride on mower 2yrs ago and no problems

The cs50s I think could be the poulan chassis which is all under the husqvarna umbrella

At £215 that isn't much more than a better quality saw made in the land of the rising sun

Thanks shavey. good to know parts should be obtainable. I might enquire with my local dealer (f r jones are only a few miles from me) about it.

what i know is, poluan, craftsman and mccolloch, (and others) are all part of husky. In the US all 3 brands have sold a saw that is basically the husky 450 or 450e but with different plastics and a few other cheaper bits. The poulan version is called the poulan pro 5020. its been around since 2011 or 2012, its commonly rated as the best sub $200 saw, its not a great saw but it is great for the cash. it is a bit heavy, has a weird 20 inch bar ( that can be changed), but its capable to pull a 20" bar ok, and its reliable (plus spares can be got). the 5020 has recently been updated, it seems to be minor tweaks that look to be improvements. The mccolloch cs20s looks to be that newer version. it is described as one of the 2017 range of saws and seems new as I've not found any buyer reviews from uk sites. If it is as reliable as the poulan etc have been in the US, and I can get spares when needed, £215 seems quite tempting. It won't be a match for a 50cc saw from stihl or husqvarna, but then they cost more like £500+, and i just want a saw that can pull an 18" for a 2 or 3 hours a year. I do want to be able to pull it off the shelf, fuel it, oil it and use it though, an to be able to do that for say... 10 years. That is quite challenging i guess.

is there such a thing as 'a better quality saw mad in the land of the rising sun'? that is the golden egg really isn't it?

Your requirement for a saw - with such little use per year - will be viewed as a little "off track" for most on here but i bet fairly typical for the home owner.

Stating the obvious, you're not going to wear any saw out in your proposed 10 years of use. Your most obvious problem is 'lack of use' and the implication on the fuel system. It's worth researching long life fuels eg Aspen if you want any saw to start after a year of non use. Even then you can imagine fuel evaporation leaving deposits in carb if you do this repeatedly. I suspect an older saw not running to the tight emission considerations of today will be more tolerant in this respect.

My second concern would be degredation of low quality plastics and hoses etc - it has little to do with the design origin of the saw and more about the quality of the materials. The evidence available for you to see is in the type of 20 - 30 year old saws out there. I can't imagine too many of the current day saws lasting that long.

Not sure that adds much to your quest.

bmp01

Your requirement for a saw - with such little use per year - will be viewed as a little "off track" for most on here but i bet fairly typical for the home owner.

Stating the obvious, you're not going to wear any saw out in your proposed 10 years of use. Your most obvious problem is 'lack of use' and the implication on the fuel system. It's worth researching long life fuels eg Aspen if you want any saw to start after a year of non use. Even then you can imagine fuel evaporation leaving deposits in carb if you do this repeatedly. I suspect an older saw not running to the tight emission considerations of today will be more tolerant in this respect.

My second concern would be degredation of low quality plastics and hoses etc - it has little to do with the design origin of the saw and more about the quality of the materials. The evidence available for you to see is in the type of 20 - 30 year old saws out there. I can't imagine too many of the current day saws lasting that long.

Not sure that adds much to your quest.

bmp01

I was going to suggest Aspen also but you were in first ! :001_smile: .