Weak Sparks

DaveyCrockett

I'm working on an old Stihl 034 AV electronic quickstop. I have had it fire on direct priming with carb cleaner but not at all reliably. Sparks well over 0.5 mm gapped plug out the cylinder but can't jump a 3 mm gap.

In my experience ignition modules fail totally or when they get hot so I'm thinking weak magnets in the flywheel. What do people think is my best move? Is is worthwhile taking a punt on a second-hand flywheel? A new one is about £95. Should I buy a pattern module just to get it eliminated? Does anyone know how to test the magnet strength or get them re-magnetised?

Thanks for any advice.

I'm working on an old Stihl 034 AV electronic quickstop. I have had it fire on direct priming with carb cleaner but not at all reliably. Sparks well over 0.5 mm gapped plug out the cylinder but can't jump a 3 mm gap.

In my experience ignition modules fail totally or when they get hot so I'm thinking weak magnets in the flywheel. What do people think is my best move? Is is worthwhile taking a punt on a second-hand flywheel? A new one is about £95. Should I buy a pattern module just to get it eliminated? Does anyone know how to test the magnet strength or get them re-magnetised?

Thanks for any advice.

Check the flywheel magnet to ignition unit gap first . As Spud would say a business card thickness is about right .

This problem is fixed now so I thought I would tell you the outcome.

I decided to buy a coil (ignition module) as this was the cheaper option, but thought I would check out the coil resistance first. I found that the HT lead was open but the resistance from the HT screw to ground to the was 7.6 kohm.

I replaced the HT lead expecting it to run, but no.

I bought a pattern coil, and it was a pretty bad fit. I had to shorten the HT screw and plastic surround where the lead comes out, but eventually got it in.

The spark jumped 3 mm (orange looking spark) but saw runs OK. It looks like the flywheel magnets are good after all.

Thanks for you help, Dave

Edited by DaveyCrockett
clarificaton