Chain sticks when turned by hand...?

Toby in Buckinghamshire

Morning all

I've recent bought a 2nd hand (but very lightly used) ms260. I have noticed when I turn the chain by hand having set the chain tension that the will rotate around the bar smoothly and then feels like it snags a little and takes extra pressure to move it, then it spins freely again. This only seems to happen when the front bar nut is tightened down. I'm not doing the front nut overly tight. Chain tension seems fine. And brake is definitely not on!

I have tried this with a used 15inch bar and chain and also with a brand new 18inch bar and chain, seems to be the same with each. But saw runs fine when started. My concern is that it could be damaging some part?

Some light wear to the sprocket but doesn't look too bad to me?

20170420_064801.jpg.726998a435427cfaa118cc7ef1c10326.jpg

Like I said, this only seems to be an issue when the front bar but is tightened.

Any ideas/suggestions?

Thanks

Toby

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Is there any crap under the front bar stud area or, conversely some under the rear bar stud and not the front causing it to sit slightly out of line when you tighten up ? I would replace that spur any way just to eliminate it .

Edited by Stubby

Is there any crap under the front bar stud area or, conversely some under the rear bar stud and not the front causing it to sit slightly out of line when you tighten up ?

Hi Stubby

No, it's all clean under there. Although I haven't had the metal cover off which sits over the oiler but that seems flat to me. Photo below.

20170420_064737.jpg.4fbc54fd48dfc3455ccf0fe5a1a7621a.jpg