MS230 piston size

Jase11

Hi,

I've got a 2007 MS230 with a badly scored piston. I've received a meteor piston for it in the post and it's too small. It's a 40mm one. Were there different sized barrels available on these saws? :confused1:

The barrel reads 1123-230/27. It also has an A stamp above this.

The piston reads 042 & 065 on one side 2811 on the other.

Thanks in advance

Jason

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well. .... my first assumption was 'no' You wouldn't change the spec that much and keep the same model number, surely.

But i googled MS230 Owners manual - there's usually a spec page at the back of the manual. Hopefully I've managed to attach a screen dump of the spec page. Sure enough there are 2 bore sizes, 40.0 and 42.5 so the answer is 'yes'.

Time to have a chat with your supplier?

For what is worth;

The A stamp I understand to be a tolerance band based on the nominal size. It allows the manufacturer to match up piston and barrel size with out making every batch of parts to a very tight tolerance. So for example if the batch of barrels is 0.010mm bigger than the nominal size, then pistons oversized by 0.010 are used in engine assembly using those barrels. That said, i don't think i have ever come across anything other than 'A' graded.

HTH.

bmp01

IMG_20170307_135803.jpg.dd2ab68e856b276fc8125ffc9abe5f22.jpg

Which end of the piston did you measure? Top of the piston is reduced diameter to take account of the expansion as it heats up. Measure the skirt end, in several places and away from the area that seized.

And if you can, measure the barrel or find something the right diameter and see if it fits. I expect it is a 42.5 bore, that was what was in the spec. But, I've been wrong before!

No idea what Meteor sell for this model. ...

If you are lucky you can some times pick up a second hand piston over on that auction site. A used, good condition, genuine piston is a good option in my opinion.

Got any ideas why your saw seized in the first place?

Good luck,

bmp01

Edited by bmp01
Measuring the barrel note added

Which end of the piston did you measure? Top of the piston is reduced diameter to take account of the expansion as it heats up. Measure the skirt end, in several places and away from the area that seized.

And if you can, measure the barrel or find something the right diameter and see if it fits. I expect it is a 42.5 bore, that was what was in the spec. But, I've been wrong before!

No idea what Meteor sell for this model. ...

If you are lucky you can some times pick up a second hand piston over on that auction site. A used, good condition, genuine piston is a good option in my opinion.

Got any ideas why your saw seized in the first place?

Good luck,

bmp01

It measures 42mm top, middle and bottom. Plus it's stamped up 42mm in the photo I posted earlier.

I think it was straight fuel that caused the problem.

It measures 42mm top, middle and bottom. Plus it's stamped up 42mm in the photo I posted earlier.

I think it was straight fuel that caused the problem.

Yeah, i saw the cast '42'

With regard to measurements and from your picture, the piston looks pretty well trashed, do you think you are managing to measure a true diameter using undamaged surfaces? A measurement inline with and below the gudgeon pin looks about the only plausible place.... Apologies if I'm labouring the point !

I have a new piston for a husky here in front of me, made by Golf, (horrible thing but that's another story). Measuring diameters it's 37.78 at the crown, 37.95 on the skirt. It fits a 38.0mm barrel.

I also have a seized ms260 piston, heavily damaged on the exhaust side. It measures 44.5 just below the second ring inline with pin (only place without damage), and 43.5 across the skirt ie. 1.2 'ish mm of wear as barrel is 44.7 mm.

The way i see it, your piston measures a worn 42.0, you need allowance for thermal expansion, so barrel is probably 42.5 as that matches a MS230 spec. You either need to cross reference part numbers to confirm you have a genuine barrel, measure the barrel. Or just try a 42.5 piston on a suck it and see basis....

I can't help with part numbers, sorry. Look/ask for a parts list.

bmp01

Just a thought, what do you know about the saw history, is that the right genuine piston?

Rings look pretty free for a seized piston, seized on skirt so lubriction issue - old fuel or straight gassed.

bmp01

Edited by bmp01
Sentance removed