Rebuilding Still MS200t

waterworks

I've acquired a battered MS200t, the piston looks like a dog chewed it , so I'm looking for a piston and cylinder kit, can anyone recommend an economical non OEM kit ?

Some on eBay are as low as £20, I am guessing they are made of die casting alloy or recycled pop cans . I only use my saws for my own log pile now so I go for economy rather than top of the range.

:001_tt2:

Edited by waterworks

I rebuild a lot of 200Ts. How does the cylinder look? I have tried a few of the Chinese replacement P/C with so-so results. Much rather try to save the cylinder and use a Meteor Piston, if not Stihl, and use Caber piston rings.

I sometimes find a good P/C on eBay.

Some on eBay are as low as £20, I am guessing they are made of die casting alloy or recycled pop cans . I only use my saws for my own log pile now so I go for economy rather than top of the range.

:001_tt2:

Everything is made from recycled something these days, that's not a problem. The tolerances are what causes problems. A 200t is not really a log pile saw you should be using a back handle for ground work or the climbing fraternity will haul you off and have you flogged with a strop :D Spud will probably recommend a supplier, he likes doing 220 t repairs.

The OEM cylinders have fallen in price recently so worth looking in to. If price is an issue, I recommend Meteor kits and the rest are Chinese of mixed quality.

Personally, these saws are to be used up the top of trees so the ability to start hot and cold in as few pulls as possible is of paramount performance and the difference of £50 in the rebuild value is bugger all compared to the cost of a couple of days lost work if this saw is to be a primary climbing saw and fails down to poor components.

It is important to find out why the saw failed in the first place and a full carb check and rebuild plus a leak down test is well worth doing plus don't forget the chain break, it should snap on and off and not flap around!

Oh - don't use a MS200 for the log pile unless rear handled, your hands are too close together using it and the temptation to use one hand is too strong so only for competent users and climbers......unless you like hospital food!

Rebuild it to a high level and it will be worth a lot of £££ to some!