Piston scoring on stihl moto mix

Daveo

Hi

Was using my ms211 for general firewood cutting duties today only used it about 6 times and have used the litre of moto mix I got when I purchased the saw.

I ran out today so I went and purchased 5ltrs of moto mix and topped the saw up, ran for about 15-20mins and then died, I took it into the shop I brought it from and after a quick 5min inspection the saw has major piston score :(, they are going to carry out a crankcase case compression check, if the results are ok then they said stihl are unlikely to warranty (it's under a year old) the piston score.

I have only ever used moto mix due to the frequency I use the saw and i have never or would lend it to anyone.

Anybody else had this issue?

Any advice would be great thanks

Yeah just domestic use, a mornings use once every 2months.

I don't think it over revved I wasn't using it flat out just cutting threw logs once iv have them on the saw horse, then letting it idle whilst I get the next one in position.

Hopefully will hear from the dealer today, my main concern is how I prove that I only ever ran moto in the saw, it's my word against there's!

When I said did it over rev I didn't mean were you using it flat out ( you are supposed to cut WOT anyway ) What I meant was did it start to rev higher than it should when WOT thus indicating an air leak .

Talk to local Trading Standards. Worth checking with the firm that supplied the saw which fuel/oil it used to PDI the saw before selling. I would go direct to Stihl. How long had the moto-mix been in the shop before sale?

I read somewhere that warranties for professional use are 3 months and leisure use are 12 months.