Quiet chainsaw recomendations.

One Buck

Good afternoon chaps,

I am looking for reccommendations on a quality, but most importantly a very quiet chainsaw.

Its for doing my logs at home. I don't want to cause nuisance to my neighbours, but more importantly I don't want to alert the scrotes who wiped me out last year, when I have saws on the premises.

Electric is fine, as is battery, but I was surprised to see them rated almost equally with the small petrol saws when it comes to 'sound power level' in the catalogues. (Or am I misunderstanding this?)

Your opinions greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Edited by One Buck

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Electric chainsaws are not quiet!

The small battery ones tend to be quite than the equivalent petrol engine though.

If you use a mains electric one, you'll make a lot less noise than a decent petrol saw.

It's also silent as soon as you stop (as not idling) has instant oomph, and tend to be fairly reliable.

I think people of a certain persuasion are attracted to the two stroke sound, (probably something to do with pregnant mums smoking, so craving the smoke of two stroke? Genetics, or the devil reincarnated amongst us) so you'll be fine with electrickery!

Electric chainsaws are not quiet!

The small battery ones tend to be quite than the equivalent petrol engine though.

If you use a mains electric one, you'll make a lot less noise than a decent petrol saw.

It's also silent as soon as you stop (as not idling) has instant oomph, and tend to be fairly reliable.

I think people of a certain persuasion are attracted to the two stroke sound, (probably something to do with pregnant mums smoking, so craving the smoke of two stroke? Genetics, or the devil reincarnated amongst us) so you'll be fine with electrickery!

Cheers. I had imagined that the 'leccy ones would be almost silent.

You could do worse than this for £50, powerfull enough for home use, shouldn't annoy the neighbours too much and a 2 year warranty....of course Stihl do something similar for 6 times the price....but they won't send it to you.

Titan TTB355CHN 40.5cm 2000W Electric Chainsaw 230V | Electric | Screwfix.com

You could do worse than this for £50, powerfull enough for home use, shouldn't annoy the neighbours too much and a 2 year warranty....of course Stihl do something similar for 6 times the price....but they won't send it to you.

Titan TTB355CHN 40.5cm 2000W Electric Chainsaw 230V | Electric | Screwfix.com

Would not both with a Titan chainsaw last time I was in screwfix the person at customer services had returned one and he said it was the third time he had returned one:thumbdown:

i have 2 electric chainsaws, one of them is a lot quieter than the other. i'd let you have one if you were nearer. can't seem to even give the bloody things away

Thanks Steve,

What are they? How do they perform? and which is quietest? ..

.. If you need rid of them, I do get about the country a bit!

:thumbup1:

Thanks Steve,

What are they? How do they perform? and which is quietest? ..

.. If you need rid of them, I do get about the country a bit!

:thumbup1:

ones a bosch i think and ones a hitachi, i would need to check the exact specs on them. I have never used either other than plugging in and squeezing the trigger to check they worked. An old boy gave me them as a tip on a tree job, they have sat in my garage ever since.

If you're passing Stowmarket you're welcome to either of them

Save

They aren't silent but the battery Stihl is a lot quieter than a 2-stroke. A friend of mine bought one for firewood etc. in his own city centre garden and it doesn't annoy the neighbours. The sound is at a different pitch and doesn't seem to travel.

Alec