Repairs to Husqvarna 136

Humpty

Hi all, first post from me and I'm afraid it's to ask some advice.

I have a Husqvarna 136 and it was leaking fuel. I traced it to a missing duck bill check valve and bronze plug (part number 36 & 37 from image L on this site Husqvarna 136 Parts List and Diagram - (2003-01) : eReplacementParts.com).

I have purchased the replacement parts but I am having problems fitting them as they just fall out. Can anyone give me some pointers on how to install these parts? Does the plug need gluing in? If so, how does the air get in to prevent a vacuum forming in the tank?

Sorry to ask such a question but I have scoured the web and can't find any details on how to do this :confused1:.

Many thanks in advance.

The "plug" is like a breather filter which fits in the opposite end of duckbill and the duckbill pushes into the hole in the tank leaving the breather on the outside. Which way round are you fitting it ? Has the hole in the tank been expanded by someone ?

there is a white breathable plug ( vion ) that was used on the early 357, it could be trimmed to fit snug in the hole. 501629801 503600401 it may even be the correct size. Not sure why the sintered plug is too small?

Probably not fitted into the body of the valve before fitting into the hole in the tank by the sound of it.

Thanks for the replies and apologies for the delay in replying.

@woodwizard: I got the parts from a local Husqvarna dealer just outside Cambridge UK: DHS Garden Machinery, Whittlesford, Cambridge - Welcome

@peatff: Thanks for the photo. The aperture on my 136 is small diameter going into the tank and the duck-bill valve sits in there. The aperture then widens to accommodate the bronze plug that sits on top of the duck-bill valve. The plug is a snug fit but not secure, if the saw is turned on its side then the plug just falls out :001_huh:. I guess the solution will be to find some way to wedge it in without preventing the airflow.