Fleabay 560xp

Acer Forestry

I have bought a 560 off ebay from some clown who has misdescribed it to a massive degree, as follows..."starts, runs and revs out fine. Comes with bar but no chain."

Actually arrived with no bar, pop the chain brake off and it looks like it hasn't been cleaned, or run, for at least six months. My mate is a garden machinery mechanic and has looked it over, and it's evident it will actually run and even sounds ok, but the motor is over-tight on the recoil and quite often you struggle to even get the cord to go half way without it jamming (the biggest concern), and the drive sprocket is knackered. There is some wear to the recoil assembly, but what isn't clear is the jamming / tightening on the pull, the mechanic has suggested it's probably the bearings are knackered. If the recoil was just not working on every pull, surely it would slip, not tighten? Any suggestions here please, internally from what we can see with muffler off it all looks ok.

Obviously as it is it has to be returned anyway, but I still need to explain fully to paypal what is wrong- plus I'd like to know what is happening with the jamming issue.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When he says " the bearings " What bearings is he referring to ? If its the crank bearings that are shot then yea , its a lemon . If you take the recoil off and try and turn the engine buy hand with the plug out does it still go stiff ? If not its just the recoil itself that is wrong . They do tend to bend the metal pegs that drive the motor round when you pull . All this is academic of course as you are sending it back .

It's all helpful advice as I am learning something here, so no, not academic- seller conveniently doesn't accept returns, it will only go back if paypal force him to accept it. A bar and sprocket replacement won't be peanuts alone, let alone any more major issue. Yes, we are talking crank bearings. If you take the recoil off, and turn it over there is a distinct area of the stroke that is stiffer, and with the 550 alongside for comparison, it is as you'd expect (my 550 is fine),fairly smooth

Is it the recoil jamming or the engine being tight? I usually remove the clutch, sparkplug and flywheel then turn the engine over with the crankshaft stub and see if there is any hindrance, it should be smooth.

Your flywheel may be just catching on the coil but without it on my bench, it is difficult to say.

It may be the mains, the stuffers can become loose or a light seize!

It's all helpful advice as I am learning something here, so no, not academic- seller conveniently doesn't accept returns, it will only go back if paypal force him to accept it. A bar and sprocket replacement won't be peanuts alone, let alone any more major issue. Yes, we are talking crank bearings. If you take the recoil off, and turn it over there is a distinct area of the stroke that is stiffer, and with the 550 alongside for comparison, it is as you'd expect (my 550 is fine),fairly smooth

In that case its VERY NOT AS Described ! Should be spares or repairs . Ebay usually side with the buyer ( weather they are deserving or not ) . Open up a case with ebay Item not as described stating the faults . You have a certain amount of time . Also you can file a case with paypal if you used that to pay with . They have a longer time period in which to file .

In that case its VERY NOT AS Described ! Should be spares or repairs . Ebay usually side with the buyer ( weather they are deserving or not ) . Open up a case with ebay Item not as described stating the faults . You have a certain amount of time . Also you can file a case with paypal if you used that to pay with . They have a longer time period in which to file .

Already done, mate. Return case already filed, I'll probably end up with paypal making the decision. Bloody people, insinuating we are are crooked by initially asking "where's the bar it's supposed to come with??", among other issues. If I had the £600 plus for the new unit from Jones, I'd have gone with that, but not right at the moment