346xp running like a fat man.

Dilz

My 346xp runs like a bag of the proverbial poop. Its slow to pick up, often the revs dropping right off as i pull the trigger, and often requires a bit of feathering to get it up to speed. If i jam it right open then it can die.

It doesnt like to start... even when warm but its a husky so... but also last time i had it out and used it all day by the end of it it would randomly drop the revs or stall when cutting and when not under load once i had gotten it up to full revs.

To me it sounds like the saw isnt getting enough fuel or too much air, but I've done what i know - cleaned and adjusted the carb, airfilter is fine, no holes, fule filter looks fine, changed the spark plug, but its still not right.

It has done this since i bought it. It was the last one in the shop as the 550's came out. Was only used as a back up saw as i got a 560xp which has more grunt to it. But as things are relatively quiet at the minute i've got the time to fix it.

Wondering if i should replace the carb entirely? any ideas much appreaciated

My 346xp runs like a bag of the proverbial poop. Its slow to pick up, often the revs dropping right off as i pull the trigger, and often requires a bit of feathering to get it up to speed. If i jam it right open then it can die.

It doesnt like to start... even when warm but its a husky so... but also last time i had it out and used it all day by the end of it it would randomly drop the revs or stall when cutting and when not under load once i had gotten it up to full revs.

To me it sounds like the saw isnt getting enough fuel or too much air, but I've done what i know - cleaned and adjusted the carb, airfilter is fine, no holes, fule filter looks fine, changed the spark plug, but its still not right.

It has done this since i bought it. It was the last one in the shop as the 550's came out. Was only used as a back up saw as i got a 560xp which has more grunt to it. But as things are relatively quiet at the minute i've got the time to fix it.

There should be a small ( 1.5mm Dia ) hole in the side of the plsatic tube that the air filter sits on . On mine it wasnt formed properly so did not vent . Spud found it when he ported it for me . Think there was a side core missing in the injection mold that forms that part . Just drilled it out and all was well . Worth checking . Or partially blocked tank vent .

Edited by Stubby

The pipe you are refering to Stuby is the bleed off from the fuel tanl breather, that Spud finds all these quirky faults.

Its the actual inlet manifold/tube . Apparently ( and I bow to your superior knowledge ) there should be a small hole in the side wall of it and there wasn't.

The pipe you are refering to Stuby is the bleed off from the fuel tanl breather, that Spud finds all these quirky faults.

It is what the customer likes and demands - can't help it if the rest throw in the towel too early:sneaky2::lol:

Stubbys saw was an interesting one though:thumbup:

Possibly the L screw needs to be a little richer (anti clockwise), if the saw has done some work then it may be a split inlet manifold - sounds like your saw and can end in seizure. Worth pulling the exhaust and making sure the piston looks OK through the exhaust port.

It is worth getting it running right as they are decent saws but get seized pretty quickly if not set up correctly!

Worth also checking the carb gauze filter, it may have a bit of chip in it causing lean running!