Chain Brake becoming stiff - what is this a symptom of?

Sambo

Alright guys!

So I've got quite a new Stihl MS261 and after about 4 months operation the chain brake is getting quite stiff. Snaps on (pull back) smooth and easy but takes more effort to trigger it now.

Now when I used to operate husqvarna saws this was a sign that a pivot point was damaged or out of position. Could it be something similar in Stihls? Anyone else had this situation?

Any info would be greatly welcomed!

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright guys!

So I've got quite a new Stihl MS261 and after about 4 months operation the chain brake is getting quite stiff. Snaps on (pull back) smooth and easy but takes more effort to trigger it now.

Now when I used to operate husqvarna saws this was a sign that a pivot point was damaged or out of position. Could it be something similar in Stihls? Anyone else had this situation?

Any info would be greatly welcomed!

Just take it apart and inspect it. It may be full of chip and oil or there may have been a failure. The turrets the dowels push in to sometimes break and that is never good!

As Spud says, a good clean will help, but then a bit of grease on the detent (the 'notch' that locks it in place) will help enormously. Sadly it does not last and will need redoing.

Stihls have been like this for a long time and Stihl have never bothered to improve in true German fashion.

Its the stud that holds the chain brake activator. Take the plastic cover off, take the chain brake apart, and clean the studs, add a small amount of copper grease to the studs before re-assembling.

Most Stihl will have this problem at some point.

what causes the problem, is it corrosion? Would pre-emptive greasing stop this problem from ever starting?

what causes the problem, is it corrosion? Would pre-emptive greasing stop this problem from ever starting?

No idea why they do it, but all of my Stihl saws have done it from time to time. Pre-emptive does reduce the chances of it happening. Alun Jones of the FCA was talking bout this at the APF this year, he did not know why either.

I would say that grease compacts with chip and creates a sticky binding compound that makes all these close tolerances tight and if there are a number of them, they make the whole system sticky.

Cleaning out regularly will ease the issue, I have probably only seen one clean MS200 chain brake in every 30 or so through my workshop! I say MS200 as I do these machines regularly and always service this part of the machine.

I would say that grease compacts with chip and creates a sticky binding compound that makes all these close tolerances tight and if there are a number of them, they make the whole system sticky.

That's why i only use a very sparring amount of copper grease, and remove any excess. My 362 is starting to get a bit stiff, it was last done about three years ago.

That's why i only use a very sparing amount of copper grease, and remove any excess. My 362 is starting to get a bit stiff, it was last done about three years ago.

Copper grease is anti seize not lubrication, proper grease does the job better.