MS250 becomes unusable as it warms up.

steve_s

Our fishing club has a MS250 that was not running. When I looked at it the fuel line was perished and I was unable to get a spark. So I replaced the fuel pipe, spark plug and coil. Initially it runs OK, it revs from tick over fine. But as it is used it begins to stall when revved, this becomes worse until it will not tick over and becomes very difficult to restart. If I leave it for a while it starts easily again. Any ideas please.

Edited by steve_s

Our fishing club has a MS250 that was not running. When I looked at it the fuel line was perished and I was unable to get a spark. So I replaced the fuel pipe, spark plug and coil. Initially it runs OK, it revs from tick over fine. But as it is used it begins to stall when revved, this becomes worse until it will not tick over and becomes very difficult to restart. If I leave it for a while it starts easily again. Any ideas please.

ms 250 with the zama carb has a small piston which works of a flat ground into the throttle butterfly, it's an accelerator pump, small brass piston with an oring, kit is about £3 the oring swells and sticks, if you are noticing it stalling and not picking up when revved then if it the zama carb I bet it's this, you have to remove the butterfly shaft to expose this, dealers like to sell a new carb but I like to rebuild them, prob an exploded view somewhere, hope this helps

MS230/250 never make loads of compression even on good running ones. Tend to creep up to 150psi if lucky. The first pull has to be up near the 70-100 mark for it to start and run.

It may just be that the reassembly didn't go quite as it should. Typical issues are the carb gaskets being in the wrong order, the metering spring not being seated correctly, the metering arm height not being correct etc. It is also possible the needle isn't sealing correctly or the gauze filter is blocked with dried up scum or gloop from the mushy fuel line.

Coil issues are less likely, a nipped up piston is quite possible!