Help Please Chinese :-(

mikehal

Hi

I purchased a second hand chinese saw a while ago as a Project, I have since having it got it running. replaced oil pump, drive gear, clutch and roller bearing, oh and the 2 bar nuts :-)

However I have a problem in that oil leeches everywhere including clutch and brake band.

I notice in the assembly instructions it mentions gaskets on both side of chain bar but I do not have these and no searching on the web shows any such item, can anyone tell me if there indeed should be some form of gasket on the chain bar ?,

Many thanks for any advice given, please dont tell me to bin it, buy a brand one etc, as if I could afford to I would never have bought it :-(

some saws have gaskets and some dont. i have used liquid gasket ( fuel/oil safe silicone ) to form gaskets and even seal a cracked oil tank.

henkel/loctite make some sealant or try google just dont get it down the oil feed pipe or you will need to pick it out with a pin

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/head-gasket-exhaust-repairs/granville-instant-gasket-40g

http://www.halfords.com/workshop-tools/garage-equipment/head-gasket-exhaust-repairs/loctite-quick-gasket-200ml

Edited by Richard Thompson

As said above, some have gaskets most don't.

You can try a simple paper gasket to see if that's where the problem lies. Use some thin card to make the gaskets, ensuring the oiler holes aren't covered. Run the saw for a couple of minutes and then leave it on a piece of cardboard to see if it's still dumping oil.

If that does the job then use either the liquid gasket mentioned above or buy some gasket paper and make up a few using the "prototypes" as a template.

Some budget saws do leak their chain oil, it's just a product of the tolerances used in manufacture. Opening the chain oil cover and retightening after use can relieve any positive pressure which causes some weeping, but if yours is a gusher then that probably won't help much, the obvious solution is to drain the chain oil out at the end of each day or store the saw bar uppermost. HTH

Does the bar have oil holes? or is the oil fed through the bar adjustment hole that's not in use? if the adjustment hole is used check that the part of the clutch cover that lines up with the outside of the hole is a solid block to stop oil flowing through to the outside of the bar rather than being contained in the bar groove same with the oil hole also that the oil hole lines up with the oil slot a good check is rig up saw without clutch cover ( extra washers on bar nuts & run you should then see where the oil is coming & going.

Thank you everyone for your help.

I thought about using silicone, but as the bar has to be slid to tension it i guessed it may not be such a good idea ? , I have ordered some gasket paper for auction site and hope that this helps.

Annoyed that I bought the saw for only £20 but has to date cost me £76 including initial £20 and still not quite right, could have bought new for less.

THAT all said the engine always starts second pull without fail, and actually seems quite powerful considering I am a chainsaw newbie.

I was always scared of them, but visiting screwfix live this year they had an electric one for £25 so bough that to try and was so pleasantly surprised how easy it was to use so that is what made me go for a petrol one, (only used for logging)

Only joined this forum yesterday but already thinking that it could easily become my new haunt :-)

If it works safely and doesn't cost too much to run in parts & fuel. I think £76 is a bargain. Beside it may pay for itself in the long run. I think you're being too hard on yourself.

Thank you, well I did make a temp gasket from a cereal box and lo and behold no oil leak.

I have today cut over 50 green logs ranging from 7" to 15" diameter x 18" long, gone through 3 tanks of fuel and 2 oil so all in all I am actually quite pleased with my purchase now.

Am certainly pleased that I was not pushed into buying a new Stihl one as a few people tried to convince me to buy before I purchased this.

Still obviously a newbie, but does the oil and petrol consumption sound about right ?

An for anyone interested it is a Chinese 5200 saw, no make on it just the numbers, Fuel mix is 25/1, seems very strongly made in that all plastic seems very heavy duty ?