Best Milling Stihl

porangi

Hi,

I'm looking at starting milling using probably a Logosol Farmers because I feel that it will be more stable on smaller diameters or maybe an Alaskan (unlikely due to stability) and am thinking about suitable chainsaws.

I currently have a MS261 as my main saw and a MS171, which I carry as a back up and am planning to sell.

At the start I'll be milling some small stuff (6 to 10 inches) into halves for building before progressing into larger 12" upwards stuff. In order to justify the expense I need to think about hiring out the mill locally.

Logosol suggest 391 or 661 but I'm also thinking why not the 461?

Is it worth me punting for the 661 or am I wasting my money and why is the 461 not suggested.

Look forward to hearing your thoughts

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

If I were you I'd buy a cheap bandsaw and forget Logosol altogether, especially if you reckon on hiring it out. The Logosol was a nice idea and may work for you if you buy the electric saw with it, or a 660 or 661 or even better a ms880, the bigger the better. I use an MS640 and it lacks the power to cut much bigger than a 6 inch log and anything over a foot will take you all afternoon to mill a single plank. Plus you want the thinner Picco bar, sprocket and chain. Forget about a saw smaller than 90cc.

One thing to consider with most of the Logosol range is the bar is supported from only one side, together with the recommended narrow kerf bar and chain, you can't go bigger than 25" without bar droop, so to go bigger you'd need the "crank" which doesn't look very long tbh.

461 with 25" narrow kerf bar and chain should be fine, 661 if you want to do wider planks.

As for their saw recommendations, could be that the 391 isn't widely used as a "pro" saw, but a lot of saw for the money, the 661 has no equivalent domestic version, neither the 400 series.

One thing to consider with most of the Logosol range is the bar is supported from only one side, together with the recommended narrow kerf bar and chain, you can't go bigger than 25" without bar droop.

Thanks Josh.

So would you opt for an Alaskan Mill and make a supporting clamping arrangement for the smaller logs to stop them rolling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If I were you I'd buy a cheap bandsaw and forget Logosol altogether, especially if you reckon on hiring it out. The Logosol was a nice idea and may work for you if you buy the electric saw with it, or a 660 or 661 or even better a ms880, the bigger the better. I use an MS640 and it lacks the power to cut much bigger than a 6 inch log and anything over a foot will take you all afternoon to mill a single plank. Plus you want the thinner Picco bar, sprocket and chain. Forget about a saw smaller than 90cc.

I looked at that as an option and the idea of a cheap bandsaw just didn't really exist unless you know something I don't!

Thanks Josh.

So would you opt for an Alaskan Mill and make a supporting clamping arrangement for the smaller logs to stop them rolling?

I dont do much milling other than the odd bit on my alaskan, used a logosol etc.

Difficult question to answer as although both are "chainsaw mills" they're very different. the Alaskan is great for its simplicity, price, and ability to relatively accurately mill big logs. great for planks and rustic furniture. The logosol was designed for the swedish market, milling relatively small diameter spruce and pine for building with, which they do very well.

I don't know your intended use, budget or the uk prices, but for what the Logosol costs here, if you're going to be, for example, building a house/sheds with id be tempted to get a small bandsaw mill like a woodland mill (although no experience of these) But i understand if this would blow the budget. then it boils down to if you're making big wide planks and beams or building material sided timber

Thanks Josh - Super Helpful.

Initially it will be to split in half small diameter Cyprus/Cedar so a spruce/pine that I want to use to build a small composting toilet in our woods. Moving onwards I'd like to be able to mill soft/hard woods around 18" max 24" into ~1" thick planks that I can then turn into furniture including bed frames, TV stands etc.

Here a woodland mill is about £3000, Logosol £1300 and Alaskan £300 to £600 but both the latter options require a saw.

I'm starting to think that a Logosol will suit my needs.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro