Resistance values for ts400 ignition module

pixie

Bit off topic, but our stihl saw wouldn't start after 12 months no use. Suspected carbs as everything else in the container has had to have a new one this year, but still no joy. White Spark is there but tiny, so put multimeter over the module and get 2.3 k ohms, but can't find if this this in the OK range or not. It's a three hole module which are around 60 quid to replace unlike the 2 hole ones at 15 quid, so would rather check. If that's ok I'm stumped. Tried fuel directly in the spark plug hole and pull over and not a sausage ( or any other indication of firing) suggestions other than putting it in the bin gratefully accepted.

Ps it had a new pot and piston last year and was used twice before being out away, so hoping it's not that, it does have compression. Leak test may have to be next....

Pixie

Edited by pixie
Bloody autocorrect.....

• 2 months later...
Also check the coil stop wire as where it goes through the casing to the off switch above the flywheel they wear through and cause intermittent probs

That usually just means they don't stop on the stop switch though doesn't it?

OP, one thing I noticed, and I can't see anyone else has mentioned, you said "wouldn't start after 12 months no use", are you sure this isn't due to stale fuel?

Are you trying to start it with the fuel that's been in it for 12 months, or fresh fuel? And same applies to the fuel you are putting directly into the cylinder, is this fresh fuel or what's been sat in a fuel can next to the saw for 12 months?

One thing I do know is that 2 stoke equipment doesn't like being sat unused, like cars they develop all sorts of issues with lack of use.

I favour the Americans' use of a splash of Seafoam in the fuel, either as a preventative measure or as part of the revival of a troubled, been stored, motor.

That usually just means they don't stop on the stop switch though doesn't it?

OP, one thing I noticed, and I can't see anyone else has mentioned, you said "wouldn't start after 12 months no use", are you sure this isn't due to stale fuel?

Are you trying to start it with the fuel that's been in it for 12 months, or fresh fuel? And same applies to the fuel you are putting directly into the cylinder, is this fresh fuel or what's been sat in a fuel can next to the saw for 12 months?

One thing I do know is that 2 stoke equipment doesn't like being sat unused, like cars they develop all sorts of issues with lack of use.

I favour the Americans' use of a splash of Seafoam in the fuel, either as a preventative measure or as part of the revival of a troubled, been stored, motor.

No if it earths out you will lose the spark,common prob ,just above recoil at the front