Leaky 372

TheHungrySquirrel

I have a 372 with a chain oil leak from the front of the gasket.

I know this is a split crankcase job, had a quick online and can buy a new crankcase ready to go for £80.

Or is it easier for me to strip it and get my dealer to split it for me? Do I need a tool for reassembly??

Also after a saw tacho to tune it up once it's back together but can't find them anywhere.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you get for your £80 however it would be more cost effective to strip and replace the gasket, there are special tools to split and re assemble, however it can be done by heating the cases with a small blow torch, you would only need to remove one side to replace the gasket.

Tried that but no movement in them at all.

Only put a new tank on this a while back so rather try and fix it.

OK, had similar on a 550XP with a crankcase air leak escaping in to the oil tank, did the bolts up and bingo, all good.

The gasket can sometimes get drawn in to the tank and then nothing will stop it bar a new gasket - usually happens on longer sections between bolts.

Was hoping it would be that simple.

If I have the splitter I'm guessing it's a simple strip and rebuild.

Things are only simple if you know what to do, have the tools and ability to do the job.

Yes, I find it a relatively simple job but I have two sets of splitters and a multitude of pullers and devices to pull and fit seals and bearings etc

Just make sure you de stress the bearings with a copper mallet once the cases are back together again.