chainsaw to run 20 - 25in bar

tomm156

evening all.

I picked up my new 620 today, happy so far authough only ran it through a bit of ash I had in the field to see what it was like.

I work a friend with is also after a new saw and was waiting for me to get the 620 before he made his desission, he seems to be under the impression anything over a 20in bar will be to big?

has anyone with this saw tried to run anything other than the stock 18 and if so how did you find it?

if it is the case that a bigger bar will be too much for this saw is there an equivalent stihl or echo (doesn't like huskys) that is better suited to a 25?

I mentioned the 462, he is adamant he wants a normal carb rather than m-tronic.

any help appreciated

I've run or reasonably extensively used most of the saws in that class:

* Dolmar/Makita DCS7901 - excellent saw. Light and extremely powerful. Would be my first choice as a felling saw in this class.

* Dolmar/Makita DCS9010 - torquey and heavy. Good cross cutting saw, but I wouldn't really recommend it for felling work as bloody heavy.

* Stihl 660 - very good, but I think not as torquey as either the 9010 or the Husky, but a good all rounder.

* Husqvarna 395XP - would be my first choice. Staggering quick on cross cuts and despite being heavy, relatively nimble on felling.

I have a Ms660 with a 25" and it seems about right to me. In fairness most saws with the grunt to run 25" are going to be heavy. Perhaps hard to do in reality but I'm a firm believer in getting the lightest saw and shortest bar that can do the job. Your body will thank you and less teeth to sharpen.

evening all.

I picked up my new 620 today, happy so far authough only ran it through a bit of ash I had in the field to see what it was like.

I work a friend with is also after a new saw and was waiting for me to get the 620 before he made his desission, he seems to be under the impression anything over a 20in bar will be to big?

has anyone with this saw tried to run anything other than the stock 18 and if so how did you find it?

if it is the case that a bigger bar will be too much for this saw is there an equivalent stihl or echo (doesn't like huskys) that is better suited to a 25?

I mentioned the 462, he is adamant he wants a normal carb rather than m-tronic.

any help appreciated

It'll inevitably depend on what you're cutting, how fast you need to be (in reality) and whether you care what other people think. I don't have a 620 but I have a CS-450, CS-501 and CS-8002, I use 28" on the CS-8002, 18" on the 501 and have had the 18" on the 450 (when it was my only saw)

Personally I can't see any reason to not run 20" - 24" on a 620, most others will disagree based on the formula of bar length being 1/3 of engine capacity. My view on that is that power output has generally gone up over the years so for example a 50cc saw is now more powerful than a 50cc saw from 20 years ago so should be able to run a longer bar. A better rule of thumb would be bar length as a percentage of actual power output.

I personally wouldn't choose the next size up (power output) Echo, the CS-8002 as an all day everyday saw, it's just too heavy, at days end you'll have done more work with the slower/lighter 620 running 24" than you will on the 8002 IMO, tortoise and hare springs to mind.