Photos required of chainsaw handles (Husqvarna 395 and 3120)

morten

I am in the process of designing a "remote throttle control" for chainsaw mills, and I am trying to make a bracket that fits over the chainsaw handle and -throttle, and will be offering this as a retrofit kit on Alaskan and similar chainsaw mills.

Ideally this bracket should fit any chainsaw brand, but if I can make it fit the larger STIHL and Husqvarna, I would be quite happy as this would likely cover 50+% of the milling saws used "in the wild".

My problem is that I only have access to STIHL saws, and I would therefore like to ask you distinguished Arbtalkers, if some of you could provide me with photos of the handle of various large displacement chainsaws with dimensional information (ruler, tape measure).

I am specifically looking for pictures of the handle on the these saws:

• Husqvarna 3120
  • Husqvarna 390/395
  • Dolmar/Makita 9010

To give an indication of what I am looking for, I have included a photo of a STIHL handle below.

I would be happy to receive the photos in any form: Attached to this thread, sent as PM, shared on the web with a link, or sent in an email to me on [email protected]. Note: Please do not photograph from close up, as this will distort the dimensions. I would rather have lower resolution than distortion.

I will be publishing my design (if succesful) in the Milling forum, for inspiration, and will possibly be making kits available for sale via ebay and/or distributors. But as the current design is not yet marketable, it'll have to wait until the next design iteration has been completed.

By the way... yes, I am aware that it will be impossible to design a bracket purely based on photos alone, but they will be a help in the initial design.

IMG_2908.jpg.211143c14f4caecd14c1c4e008051205.jpg

IMG_2909.jpg.db0b8c75d67c7c2110e2924160a1510c.jpg

Velcro type strap, one size fits all easy to remove in an emergency?

Velcro is a good idea, but I need a clamp that fits over the top of the handle, that holds the throttle cable assembly. And I hope to be able to make one universal clamp that will fit most, if not all, chainsaw handles. For the prototypes I am using polycarbonate for the clamp.

I am not quite sure why you have posted that link.

I am aware of many remote throttle solutions, but none of them have been productised, and none of them have a universal fitting bracket.

Here is a Google Image search that reveals many prototype-style designs: https://www.google.dk/search?tbm=isch&q=chainsaw+remore+throttle

And as far as I can tell, there are NO dimensions available on the photos in your search, so I don't really see what I am getting out of your search link.

Edited by morten