Fuel and oil mixture

Dextercutt

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey guys,

I have a newbie question for you.

Is it true that we should not use a mixture between fuel and oil that’s more than 90 days old. someone told me that but I’m not sure about it and i don’t want to damage my chainsaw. :confused1:

If you are mixing pump fuel than yes as it starts to go off as soon as it leaves the pump . If you are using Aspen then not a problem as it has a considerably longer shelf life . 5 years I think . You can buy Aspen ready mixed ( Aspen 2 ) or mix your own with Aspen 4 . I mix Aspen 4 with Redline racing oil at a ratio of 50:1.

If you are mixing pump fuel than yes as it starts to go off as soon as it leaves the pump .

I would disagree.

All the info re petrol going "off" is due to what is left in an open tank / carb. Not what is stored in a sealed container.

I would disagree.

All the info re petrol going "off" is due to what is left in an open tank / carb. Not what is stored in a sealed container.

As soon as the fuel is mixed with the two stroke oil, the fuel starts to break down the oil irrespective of being in a sealed container, carb or fuel tank. If you mix fuel with oil then my advice would be to use it within 6 weeks and use it in the lawnmower after that.

If you don't do this then you are depending on the saw carb being set on the rich side and not having an air leak and a bit of luck but at some stage the oil will have no lubricating effect and at that stage, you may get away with very short periods of use but a longer cut will seize your saw.

So in short, best to mix smaller amounts of fuel for use that week or use Aspen as this can remain in the saw for much much longer.

Have lost count of how many saws/hedge trimmers/strimmers iv had in this year after the winter lay up due to folks not being able to start them on the old fuel ether in the tank, or by them putting last years mixed fuel in the machine thinking it was ok !! Folks dont make the connection with petrol "its self" going off in a mower ether !

I go along with the basic rule of small mixes and also keeping the fuel and oil apart till needed. I personally dont use mixed 2 stroke more than 2 months old and put my own kit away drained as best i can if not being used much.

I also remember being told in one place or another that fuel over 30 days should not be used.

As has already been said by others never mix more than you need and don't be ashamed to be that sad person that always drains fuel out of machines that could be laid up for more than a few days. While you're draining the tanks rationalise the fuel into as few containers as is safely possible. A good funnel will be very useful for this, if not essential in my view (preferably a clean plastic one that never leaves the workshop, personally I find this helps a lot). I should say be very careful not to spill any.

My apologies if you found this post rather longwinded.