Safety question

johshaw

Hi Folks, would appreciate if someone could provide some guidance for me. I have been using a Husky 345e (18" bar) for the last 6-7 years, averaging once a week for an hour or two. Recently I sold this saw and bought a Husky 550 (15" bar), which I really like and also a Husky 576XPG (20" and 28" bars). The 576 is clearly a much more serious saw than I have been used to. I have read online that security/safety issues with such a saw are more important and I would like to know what additional safety I should be considering ? I have chainsaw boots, trousers, helmet, gloves and jacket. Maybe it's not safety clothing but technique I need to pay more attention too with such a saw. Any advice would be very welcome. All my cutting is done with my feet firmly on the ground, no climbing. Thanks, John

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You haven't mentioned any training that you may have already done?

If you haven't done CS 30/31 maintenance & crosscutting (old speak) NPTC course, don't be too proud, it's a great course (if well delivered) and will provide not only improved safety, but also increased efficiency and effectiveness and may save you some maintenance cost too.

Highly recommended!

Training is good, but some safety knowledge goes a long way, use the chain brake when not cutting, keep a reasonable grip on the saw, avoid the nose of the bar touching anything, understand tension and compression in the wood to ascertain what cuts to do, watch out cutting on sloping ground as released wood can roll, keep the chain in top condition, always try to have someone know what your doing and where, and have a phone on you, avoid trip hazards and keep your feet apart an be balanced.

That's a start, but in no way comprehensive.:001_smile:

I know a few experienced chainsaw operators who did just fine, until they got their hands on a saw powerful enough to bite back.

Most of them occurred after turning over a log not cut all the way, and using the upper bar to cut the straps, pushed the saw back into their upper leg, where the lower back most part of the bar, bit them but good, one of them nicked their femoral artery, luckily for him we were close to an ER, and he lived. Operating an 044 Stihl.

Chaps are a must regardless.

Personally I make a habit of cutting with the smallest saw I can get away. Which is why I've worn out so many MS200's, and so few 372XP's!

Industrial forestry medkits come in handy if you cut for a living like I do.

Work safe mate!

Jomoco

One thing not been mentioned is fatigue. After using our 365 for several hours my arms felt 2 inches longer. Heavier saw will cause tire you out quicker which is when you are most likely to make a mistake. Coupled to this as Jomoco says a bigger saw has the ability to bite you quicker. Mate of mine takes liberties with a small saw and he has got away with it so far, but I shudder to think what he would do with a 576.

Take your time John and stay safe

Thank you all for your replies and good advice. I always try and keep safety top of mind and keep my chain sharp (letting the saw do the work), swapping the chain after each tank of fuel. I have an Oregon bench grinder to maximise the sharpness of the chains I use and minimise the time it takes to sharpen them.

I am based in Ayrshire and have access to lots of mature hardwood trees. Haven't really spent much time with the 576 yet but will take it easy to start with. My plan is to use the 576 for felling and then cutting the larger rounds from the trunk and using the 550 for the branches and slimmer trunks.

My biggest concerns are the force of any kickback on a 576 as compared to my previous 345 and also the weight of it.

Thanks, John

As another member states, work positioning is everything.

I dont believe the chances of an accident increase the bigger the saw, more the opposite. It is easy to be careless and haphazard with a lighter machine.

Keep both hands on the saw the right way around in the correct orientation, keep the machine to the right of your body and look at what you are doing.

That will cut the chance of an injury down by at least 99%