Husky 540xp problems

Pr04log

Hi all a bit of help needed here,sorry advice more than help I bought a husky 540xp from a shop in lands brand new boxed receipt glee etc ,from day one the saw has been very hard to start when warm or cold I got fed up of trying to start it I returned it for repair,it came back the same if anything worse,last week I was on a big climb and at the end of the day my right arm was killing me,because of the amount of times I tried to start it,I rang the shop today and explained all and told him I wanted a full refund or another saw I was told I would have to go direct to husky dealership with my complaint the saw is 6 months old with 12 months warranty the shop did say that if I dropped the saw of they would replace all parts carb etc etc I don't want the saw anymore it has caused me so much hassle I want rid any ideas of the best way to go about this would be very helpful cheers all.

Make sure the spark plug is in properly.

I recently nearly sent mine off to Jones for a service but just checked the spark plug before it was sent. It was loose. BUT, it had obviously never been screwed in tight from day 1. It ran ok for a while but then just got worse. Now it's spot on. Like a new saw.

If it's not that, then I can't help but hopefully a service would sort it.

It sounds as though you didn't buy it from a Husky dealer but a tool shop.

In which case it may be an old one. Check the serial number plate and this will reveal the year it was built.

If it's an old one it may have the electronic gremlins that can never be solved. I have one of these and about every 18mths it needs to go into the dealer to be plugged in and reset. Then it runs sweet as a nut.

BTW, I only bought mine as a backup and don't use it any more so if anyone wants to buy it just make me an offer.

Anyway, hope that helps.

Mine was from a dealer online. Unfortunately not my local who only does stihl. Worked for about a few months fine, but then just went downhill and I moaned about it being rubbish to start and run. My stupid fault for not checking but it stayed like this for about a year or so, always taking the stihls rather than 540.

The washer on the spark plug was still concave shaped and hadn't been squashed at all so it had not been tightened from day 1.

Anyway, hope you are happy with it now. Made mine like a new saw and I use it every time now. It's still plasticky and weak so need to be careful but it's running well.

Edit: having just read that again, I realise yes, tool shop, not husky dealer. Big difference, but I would still expect them to do a basic once over. I won't buy online again if that's what to expect!

Edited by T14EES T14UNK

The fact that you took the saw in to the place of purchase complaining it was hard to start and they did not check the colour of the plug (meaning then they would have discovered it was loose) suggests to me that they are not fit to be selling saws.

I'm also surprised that saw users experiencing starting issues don't remove the plug? Checking for a spark is always my first move.