MS261 query

Taupotreeman

I wrote to Stihl this morning with regard to the needle bearing problem. Thought I might get some help on a rebuild. This is the reply.

Hello Mr Ashmore,

Thank you for your mail and enquiry

The potential issue on the MS 261 was on the USA versions of the machine and also not related to needle bearings (which bearing were you referring to? The clutch drum needle bearing or the crankshaft little end bearing?)

We have had no issues with either bearing to date, on the MS 261 or any other machine.

If it is the little end bearing, what two stroke lube are you using? If it's the clutch drum bearing, is dirt or debris getting in about it? do you remove it to clean and regrease it?

With kind regards

Anyone care to counter?

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wrote to Stihl this morning with regard to the needle bearing problem. Thought I might get some help on a rebuild. This is the reply.

Hello Mr Ashmore,

Thank you for your mail and enquiry

The potential issue on the MS 261 was on the USA versions of the machine and also not related to needle bearings (which bearing were you referring to? The clutch drum needle bearing or the crankshaft little end bearing?)

We have had no issues with either bearing to date, on the MS 261 or any other machine.

If it is the little end bearing, what two stroke lube are you using? If it's the clutch drum bearing, is dirt or debris getting in about it? do you remove it to clean and regrease it?

With kind regards

Anyone care to counter?

:biggrin::lol::biggrin::lol::biggrin::lol::lol::biggrin::lol: We have had no issues to date !

Yeah, I'm currently watching the fur fly on the AT Facebook page. I'm going to screen shot some of it and email it back to Stihl. When i emailed this morning it was off my phone so I might have looked like some back yard warrior trying his luck. Emailed a reply this arvo with a little more "info" and that I'd done some "research" into the matter. We'll see how that sits. Anyone want an argument for switching to Echo etc?

Well that's a bit of a joke, every 261 I have had in has a buggered clutch needle bearing along with damage to the oiler arm and clutch drum bearing hole!

Keep denying it and it will all go away:001_rolleyes:

Mind if I quote you Spud? I'm gonna screen shot the FB page and email it to Stihl NZ and see what they say.

Well that's a bit of a joke, every 261 I have had in has a buggered clutch needle bearing along with damage to the oiler arm and clutch drum bearing hole!

Keep denying it and it will all go away:001_rolleyes:

We had a few 261's at my last place and the needle bearings went, followed by the above. Both saws. Both new, both well maintained.

Mind if I quote you Spud? I'm gonna screen shot the FB page and email it to Stihl NZ and see what they say.

Feel free - one was running on just the glass fibre cage as it had no needle rollers left! Had old 026, 066 etc in with perfect needles so the issue is in the design/materials!

In a politicians answer kind of way Stihl probably are right. The bearing is OK the drum isnt.:001_smile: Well thats my take on it.

Yes but something isn't right as some have been so bad, the drum has actually worn the end of the oiler arm off and some have stripped the arm off the oiler worm/pinion!

No good just denying it as the evidence is there and telling the customer this tripe just pisses them off!

I just wonder why the MS260 was fine and the 261 was so bad - no idea if the latest ones are any better!