Milling Oak into posts, typical costs and requirements

mcmoonter

I've got an Oak that needs to come down.

It has a good straight trunk for around twenty feet and its around 30" at the base. Rather than burn it, I'd like to get it milled into some big square posts to build something with.

It might take a bit of handling but I could get it onto the trailer and take it to the sawmill, or is there some sort of portable mill that can come to the tree?

Does anyone have any idea of typical costs for milling/planking a tree?

Are there any other things I should consider?

I'm near Kirkcaldy in Fife.

Unless you have access to free/very cheap transport, it is likely to be much cheaper to get it milled where it falls. For posts, a chainsaw mill is likely to be the best bet as you can literally stick all the bits in a wheelbarrow and get to wherever you need to be (although a Lucas mill might just do it). Should cost you somewhere between £250 and £350/day I would have thought, and should be possible to do the lot in a day.

Also take into account that you will want to stack the posts somewhere that the air can get around them but the rain doesn't land directly on them, with sticks between them to help air flow. You want to get the bottom of the pile 8ins or so off the ground, so get some bricks or blocks ready, and prepare you sticks - something like inch square would be about right and they want to be seasoned. Old bits of pallet work quite well.

Alec

Thanks Alec

I only have the one tree that needs milling. It's a car's length from a good road.

I was hoping to have it cut into four of the biggest posts possible, no other planking.

I've got a big Ifor Williams trailer so transport to the sawmill at Inzievar wouldnt be too big a problem, though having it sawn on site is preferrable.

Storing for seasoning shouldn't be too difficult. How long would you store posts before construction.

Is there anyone in Fife or near on here I could contact for a quote?

Thanks Alec

I only have the one tree that needs milling. It's a car's length from a good road.

I was hoping to have it cut into four of the biggest posts possible, no other planking.

I've got a big Ifor Williams trailer so transport to the sawmill at Inzievar wouldnt be too big a problem, though having it sawn on site is preferrable.

Storing for seasoning shouldn't be too difficult. How long would you store posts before construction.

Is there anyone in Fife or near on here I could contact for a quote?

I am just the other side of the bridge and could bring the Woodmizer over to you. It wouldn't take a full day to mill that, so I wouldn't charge you a full day's rate (which is £350 plus VAT and mileage), but we could discuss something.

If you are interested, could you please send me a PM with a photo of the tree. I would be then able to best advise on what to do with it.

Jonathan (Robinson Sawmilling and Tree Works)

If you assume it's about 2ft diameter at the top end (which is what governs post size) you would get 4 square posts about 8.5ins square. Most people would use oak green rather than waiting for it to season. You do get movement, which you have to allow for in the design, but it's much easier to work and bearing in mind you would need to wait for about 4-5yrs for it to air dry to a basic level you can see why green is easier! You'll still need to stack it up neatly though whilst getting ready to use it, as otherwise you risk it staining up on the surface due to contact with iron/going mouldy etc. You also want to keep them away from too much sunlight (shouldn't be a problem in Scotland in winter!) as otherwise you risk case hardening, where the surface seasons faster than the centre and getting the middle to dry is then very difficult.

Alec

I am just the other side of the bridge and could bring the Woodmizer over to you. It wouldn't take a full day to mill that, so I wouldn't charge you a full day's rate (which is £350 plus VAT and mileage), but we could discuss something.

If you are interested, could you please send me a PM with a photo of the tree. I would be then able to best advise on what to do with it.

Jonathan (Robinson Sawmilling and Tree Works)

I will take a picture and get some more accurate dimensions to give you more of an idea.

Thanks for your help on this guys.