Treatment for stump chair?

Hi, I was asked to leave a stump, carved into a seat.... It is cypress and not at all rotten.

What would you suggest applying to the cut surfaces if anything?

I appreciate it may not last for long but the client wants some info and I don't know beyond suggesting Danish oil?

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Adam

For ages i wa suggesting deckign oil and it IS a good product

BUT it has a few limitations.

You really need to dilute it 50:50 with white spirit for the first few coats or it wont soak in far enough. You need to build up layers of thinned-down deckign oil and then apply some undiluted layers

but how dry the wood is has a huge effect on the finish. Any moisture in the wood and it can result in a cloudy 'icky' finish that i really dont like on any smooth surfaces

an alternative is to apply a few coats of teak oil or danish oil and then a few coats of diluted decking oil. The teak oil tends to displace any surface 'dampness' and i find i get better results

however, Im a scientist and like many others, i am always looking to see what might be even better than what i am already using.. so this is my next 'try', based o9n discussions with a few others.

a few coats of danish oil (just to get the moisture levels down and to soak in nicely) and then a few coats of this stuff, diluted 50:50 with danish oil

Wood Protective Treatment & Preserver 5L Clear -

after that you can give maybe a coat or two with undiluted stuff and it should now be pretty stable

sorry for the wall-of-text, but you did ask :)

oh.. i know this might sound strange considering i am now effectively an environmental scientist etc etc... but dont bother using any preservative that is water based. High VOC is what you want :) water based stuff with wax etc is just rubbish. Goes on easy but washes away too quickly